Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > amount of sugar to bottle carb
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2010, 02:14 AM   #1
BaronIV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: minnesota
Posts: 58
Default amount of sugar to bottle carb

I have a 1 gallon batch of apfelwein in the making right now and I would like to split it up among the bottles to try each still/dry, still/sweet, and carb/dry. I plan on bottling in 16 oz bottles. My question is how much sugar would i use per bottle to carb it?

I ran through the math using 3/4 c per 5 gallons, and i came up with about .9 tsp per bottle to use. does this sound about right?

I really don't want to overcarb these and have bottle bombs, but like i said i only want to carb a few bottles to see if i like it.


BaronIV is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:39 AM   #2
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Teromous's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 2,871
Liked 512 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default

48 teaspoons per cup * 3/4 = 36 teaspoons
640 oz in 5 gallons / 16 = 40 bottles

36/40 = 0.9 tsp

Your math looks good to me. If you have a digital scale I'd use it instead but if not, that seems fine.


Teromous is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #3
mordantly
Registered User
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posts: 3,945
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

how do you weigh .9 tsp?
mordantly is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:29 AM   #4
BaronIV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: minnesota
Posts: 58
Default

if i had a scale i would be using one, which is why i had to do all that math... and i plan on eyeballing 3/4 ish of a teaspon. This is just to test a couple different ways of bottling the stuff so i know what i like. After this batch, if i decide i like it carbed i'll do the whole batch, which should be tremendously easier
BaronIV is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #5
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Teromous's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 2,871
Liked 512 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordantly View Post
how do you weigh .9 tsp?
You can weigh out the sugar because it's more accurate than guessing. Around 3.55 grams?
Teromous is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #6
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
gratus fermentatio's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montana
Posts: 10,630
Liked 1721 Times on 1012 Posts
Likes Given: 4320

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronIV View Post
I have a 1 gallon batch of apfelwein in the making right now and I would like to split it up among the bottles to try each still/dry, still/sweet, and carb/dry. I plan on bottling in 16 oz bottles. My question is how much sugar would i use per bottle to carb it?

I ran through the math using 3/4 c per 5 gallons, and i came up with about .9 tsp per bottle to use. does this sound about right?

I really don't want to overcarb these and have bottle bombs, but like i said i only want to carb a few bottles to see if i like it.
These will make it really easy to carb a few bottles safely & effectively: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=5003
Regards, GF.
gratus fermentatio is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
smokinghole
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
smokinghole's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lucid Dream Land
Posts: 2,917
Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default

Dude go to a bed bath and beyond. You can get a digital scale for $30. I got the biggest loser model because it was on sale and all it had on it was a sticker which was easily removed. I forget the manufacturer. Anyhow go get one it won't break the bank.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I also use that handy link for priming calcs. In case you didn't have the link.
__________________
Going through life is hard.
Going through life stupid is harder.
smokinghole is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 04:17 PM   #8
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Teromous's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 2,871
Liked 512 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
These will make it really easy to carb a few bottles safely & effectively: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=5003
Regards, GF.
I'm not knocking it because I haven't used them myself, but a few guys were complaining that they gave an off flavor and some mentioned that the bottles had noticable changes in carbonation levels.
Teromous is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #9
BaronIV
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: minnesota
Posts: 58
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinghole View Post
Dude go to a bed bath and beyond. You can get a digital scale for $30. I got the biggest loser model because it was on sale and all it had on it was a sticker which was easily removed. I forget the manufacturer. Anyhow go get one it won't break the bank.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

I also use that handy link for priming calcs. In case you didn't have the link.
the thing im trying to say, is i just want to test out to see if i like it carbed, If i do i will end up making a 5 gallon batch next and just go with the normal 3/4 c sugar to prime. No scale needed
BaronIV is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
arxix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: OBX NC / FTM FL
Posts: 35
Default

Couldn't you just bottle 2/3's of your batch, then add in 1/4 cup of priming sugar to the bottling bucket and then continue to bottle? That way its evenly distributed and its a lot easier to measure out 1/4 cup once than .9 teasoons several times.


arxix is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
800ml bottle Priming sugar amount? el_Jacob General Beer Discussion 9 04-19-2013 11:54 AM
Priming sugar amount? ReeseAllen Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 10-16-2009 08:09 PM
Amount of Priming Sugar? thesanch Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 18 01-31-2009 05:57 AM
Amount of Sugar? Crisco87 Cider Forum 4 10-04-2008 02:05 AM
Always same amount for Carb? xjiefx General Techniques 7 01-25-2008 03:04 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS