Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Well, this blows!!!

Old 10-27-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Well, this blows!!!

So i recently constructed two Keggles, a manifold made from CPVC, I have the know how to attempt an AG brew, and then realized....CRAP.....I can not heat my keggle on the stove(was only going to do a 5 gallon AG for first attempt).

The burner will not touch the bottom of the keggle.

So now i will begin my friday afternoon trying to come up with a cost effective way to get a burner and propane tank.

Hey, i gave an old Kenmore gas grill to my brother and he never uses it. That and he is my brew partner so im sure he would be willing to donate to the cause.

Anyway, the grill has one of those side burners on it as well, do you think that will pump out enough BTUs to boil the 6.5 gallons of initial wort?

Im at work so i dont have the model of the grill.

Reverend

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
Hermish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I built a 3 tier all grain setup, and started out with 2 burners that were from the side of bbqs. They worked, but it takes awhile to get the wort to boil. I started to do 10 gallons batches, and for that i bought a new burner to heat the wort, but i still use one of the bbq burners to heat the mash and sparage water.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:49 PM   #3
Rocket
Recipes 

Default Unlikely

I think that's pretty unlikely. I have never done it before, but I doubt the burner is more than 10,000 BTU (I could be wrong). However, if I were to try boiling with a low BTU burner, you might be able to do it if you wrapped the sides of the keggle in insulation and then put some kind of insulated top on it (with a small-ish vent hole of course). I'm thinking of wrapping some fiberglass around it and taping it to the keggle with aluminum tape, and maybe the same for the lid.

Hmmm.... I might run some numbers to see if that could work. I think I've got some quick-calc type spreadsheets already set up.

Edit: Of course this all depends on conditions exterior to the keggle. Temperature, wind, etc.

Blaine McCormick of Baylor University says that this likely came from a letter sent to Abbé André Morellet in 1779 about wine (the miracle of water into wine) where Franklin says, "Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine -- a constant proof that God loves us, and loves us to be happy."

Old 10-27-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Hermish
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i think the average side burner on a bbq is somewhere between 12,000 and 15,000 BTU. Not a lot, but it worked for me the few times that i used it.

Old 10-27-2006, 07:55 PM   #5
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Conditions are not terrible here right now. will be upper 60s this weekend and no wind in my garage.

you think wrapping keggle with aluminum tape over insulation is the way to go?

Give me a few details on that and i will give it a try.

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 10-27-2006, 08:14 PM   #6
Vermicous

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I bought a gas grill back a while back, using the side burners was something I considered. I decided against it because the majority of side burners are not designed to support much weight. 6 gallons of wort weighs around 50 lbs, a store clerk said the grills I was looking at only supported 25 - 40 lbs. I could have made some supports, but it was easier in the end to pick up a cheap turkey fryer.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:15 PM   #7
Pumbaa
I prefer 23383

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 66

If ya do wrap it I would definetly keep an eye on how close you are getting anything to the flame. Insoulation burns and it throws off all sorts of nasty chemicals when it starts to break down (prior to ignition)

I think your best bet would to be start scouring Home Depot, Walmart, K-Mart, Target and such in search of a close out turkey fryer. If you can find a square one I would recomend that over the round ones. I notice with the round bases the kettle tends to rock a bit on them.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:26 PM   #8
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

how about going old school and build a camp fire in the yard?

Old 10-30-2006, 06:14 PM   #9
casebrew
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

How about salvaging a burner from a gas water heater?

I used a burner from a wall heater for 10 5 gal AG batchs. About 24,000 btus? I had to peen the jet down from .100" to about .062 to run it on propane. It worked better than the kitchen stove's 8k btu. But never did burn clean. Then I found a turkey burner at the garage sale, with adjustible regulator. I died and went to helll!

My inclination is that turkey fryer burners are just water heater parts without all the anciliary stuff like tanks and controls. But the themocouple controller would give you a pilot light, something I liked on the wall heater system I used.

72 batches so far,
48 wine, mostly Loquat, peach, plum, prickly pear
23 beers and ciders
1 sauerkraut
1 Tequila, from a prickly pear wine experiment that didn't work. I call it "Prickly Heat"

Old 10-31-2006, 02:47 AM   #10
Gabe
It's a sickness!

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Go to Home cheepo, I was there today and saw the shelves with the BBQ stuff. There was all the parts to put together 1 helava burner set up ! Cheap I don't know, but once it's done it's what you will want for the long haul. NO F-N Around.