Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Stainless braid length?

Old 10-27-2006, 05:24 PM   #1
Todd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Stainless braid length?

I have a 70qt coleman extreme that I'm using for my Mash, I have some 7/8" braid for the drain. As the water level gets down it starts to suck air.

My question is, since the cooler has a built in trough at the end. Should I keep my braid shorter so it stays in there or let it long? It is probably 18" long right now.

Will it hurt anything sucking air like it does?

Old 10-27-2006, 07:26 PM   #2
Reverend JC
2500 gallons year to date
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you coil it around the bottom of the cooler i would guess that it will only start to suck air as you near the end of your sparge. I dont you think you will harm anything by the braid sucking air, unless people think that will lead to hot side aeration.

http://www.modernmonks.com

Old 10-27-2006, 07:36 PM   #3
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend JC
If you coil it around the bottom of the cooler i would guess that it will only start to suck air as you near the end of your sparge. I dont you think you will harm anything by the braid sucking air, unless people think that will lead to hot side aeration.
That was my concern. It also seems that I get a lot of absorbtion, around .5qt per pound where I see others only getting .1. What might be causing that?