Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > keezer/fermentation chamber in one?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:36 PM   #1
Keith_Mahoney
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default keezer/fermentation chamber in one?

Would it be feasible to purchase only one chest freezer, a brew-belt and a Ranco two stage controller in order to ferment in the freezer set at serving temps?
I could imagine building a little chamber inside the freezer made of some insulation.

I would like to know if this is feasible, if anyone has done this and what some cons would be.

Cons - increased electricity use. Only one fermenter going at a time.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 AM   #2
Keith_Mahoney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Am I completely off my rocker here, or has just no one tried this?

Old 01-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
BrewSpook
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have been turning this over in my mind. I thought about what you suggested first, but was thinking it wouldnt be very efficient, just a constant circle of heating and cooling.

Then i started looking at building a keezer with a set of cabinets on top to ferment in. A computer fan to blow the colder air up when the temp gets too high.

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Old 01-07-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
JesseRC
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've seen some folks build a chamber (about 3feet tall) above the chest freezer with a door big enough to get kegs in and out. A pvc tube with fan pumps cold air from the very bottom of freezer to the top chamber. No heating was needed. it seemed to work just fine.

Primaries: Mojave Red (AG)
Kegs: Hibiscus Saison (AG), Orange Kolsch (AG) , Cocunut Porter
Future Brew: Wee Heavy

Old 02-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #5
JoMarky
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

A friend and I have just completed this. A 20 cu ft chest freezer was used, a insulated box was was made over the compressor hump side for the fermenter side. Its large enough for 2 ale pales to ferment lagers in. The other side can fit either 6 or 7 kegs, I forget. There is a small space heater in the lager side that runs about 7 minutes per hour (it takes a while to actually start blowing hot air). The keezer side runs 3 minutes every hour. We will be making a build thread soon, i'll repost the link here when we get around to that.

Old 02-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Keith_Mahoney
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMarky View Post
A friend and I have just completed this. A 20 cu ft chest freezer was used, a insulated box was was made over the compressor hump side for the fermenter side. Its large enough for 2 ale pales to ferment lagers in. The other side can fit either 6 or 7 kegs, I forget. There is a small space heater in the lager side that runs about 7 minutes per hour (it takes a while to actually start blowing hot air). The keezer side runs 3 minutes every hour. We will be making a build thread soon, i'll repost the link here when we get around to that.
Sounds interesting. I will be waiting for the link. I will not be buying anything until I move this summer.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Marsdude
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewSpook View Post
Then i started looking at building a keezer with a set of cabinets on top to ferment in. A computer fan to blow the colder air up when the temp gets too high.
I like this idea! If you could isolate the fermentation chamber enough from the colder keezer this could really work.