Betadine for sanitizing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icebrewer

Reaction score
I have noticed that some of the users on here are using Betadine to sanitize equipment. Has anybody got any info on how much dilution is needed to use it as a no-rinse sanitizer? I know it depends on the strenght of the Iodine - Povidone solution but any info on this would help.

cheers

I believe my Betadine is 1% available iodine. To reach the recommended 12.5 ppm iodine concentration for a no-rinse sanitizer, it should be roughly 1 tsp / gal which is about the same as Prolix suggested.

Yup, before I switched to using quats and starsan, I always used 1 tsp/gal of generic Betadine.

Just be careful with the solution pH, it should remain <= 5. I have hard water and, after buying a pH meter, later learned the iodine solution pH was at ~6. This makes it MUCH less effective at sanitizing and explains why my beer developed a couple of mild infections during that time.

If you have hard water, I recommend you use RO or distilled water to make iodine solutions (same as mixing starsan or quats). :)

Thanks for the replies
I believe my Betadine is 1% available iodine. To reach the recommended 12.5 ppm iodine concentration for a no-rinse sanitizer, it should be roughly 1 tsp / gal which is about the same as Prolix suggested.

The stuff I use has 10% Povidone Iodine according to the label, I guess I should use less then tsp per gallon?

I'm curious where you guys are getting the Betadine? And do you happen to know the approximate cost off hand? I'm using an iodine based livestock wound spray as a sanitizer. It runs me $6 per 16 fl oz but it sure would be nice to get something at the drug store right down the street.

This is just a question can I use the betadine throat and oracare for sanitation with 1% povidone iodine? or betadine that use in woulds care..

thanks

Back