Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > US-05 how long to finish? Concerns about attenuation
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Portland OR
Posts: 5,423
Liked 62 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
If I may offer some advise that was given to me which has reduced my brewing stresses considerably.

Do not test your gravity before your beer looks ready to bottle. This may seem completely wrong to you, but it will accomplish some of the following:

1) You will not have to sanitise your wine thief
2) There will beLess risk of oxygen near your beer you are not opening your carboy
3) less work for you
4) Your anxiety level will reduce, and you will just relax more and let your ferment complete on its own.
5) If you are like me, I am certain my hairline has been receding at half the rate as it was when I tested my beer often.

Seriously, unless you are racking to a secondary for a lager, or you are trying to rush your ferment why bother even testing until your beer looks ready to bottle/keg. Just putting it out there!
+1 - I don't open the fermenter or test gravity until the 10 day mark on ales. They are always finished and ready for continued aging or kegging from that point.


samc is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #12
pompeiisneaks
Why that human mask?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pompeiisneaks's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Redmond, WA
Posts: 909
Liked 49 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Yeah I'm becoming even more lazy, I just leave them in primary for 3-4 weeks, and then keg... done I do always test FG, just to make sure I have records etc... but it comes out fine


__________________
~Phil
Fermenting/Kegged/Bottled NONE :( I moved to the NW and haven't had time to setup my brew rig since! (but hey, I'm in the Pacific NW so there's so much awesome beer I don't need to brew it as much hah!
pompeiisneaks is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,812
Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samc View Post
+1 - I don't open the fermenter or test gravity until the 10 day mark on ales. They are always finished and ready for continued aging or kegging from that point.
Always is an awful strong statement there.

I have a wit that I brewed on the 27th using 2 jars of captured hoegaarden yeast in a huge starter, and as of this morning it STILL has a huge krausen on it. I'd hardly say it is finished.

Permo, your beer will take as long as it needs to. The yeast knows what it's doing. You know that many of us pitch our yeast and walk away for a month and come back and bottle.

You don't need to worry. US 05 is a workhorse. I use it for about 95% of my beers and I have NEVER had a problem with it. Just give it some space and it will do what it needs to do.

__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #14
permo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 2,788
Liked 29 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

I totally agree, I shouldn't even have measured the gravity. Patience for sure is the best practice and I am sure the beer will be just great. Two weeks just seems to take so long! Then I have to dry hop it! It will be worth it.

Hoegaarden....that is some good stuff. SWMBO and my bmc father both like it. I didn't ever think about harvesting the yeast. But now i am going too.
permo is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #15
nbspindel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: las vegas
Posts: 212
Default

sh*t, i'm paying $4.95 for each pack of US 05! that's local. Not bad compared to liquid yeast, but worth harvesting? yes. if doing a starter with it is ok, when i get equipment to do so, will i? yes. (*note: everyone says don't do a starter for dry yeast, but it doesnt make sense to me. I haven't researched it yet though; that's why i say 'if...it is ok')
__________________
*Bayou Brewhouse, established 2009*
nbspindel is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #16
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,262
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones17 View Post
If I may offer some advise that was given to me which has reduced my brewing stresses considerably.

Do not test your gravity before your beer looks ready to bottle. This may seem completely wrong to you, but it will accomplish some of the following:

1) You will not have to sanitise your wine thief
2) There will beLess risk of oxygen near your beer you are not opening your carboy
3) less work for you
4) Your anxiety level will reduce, and you will just relax more and let your ferment complete on its own.
5) If you are like me, I am certain my hairline has been receding at half the rate as it was when I tested my beer often.

Seriously, unless you are racking to a secondary for a lager, or you are trying to rush your ferment why bother even testing until your beer looks ready to bottle/keg. Just putting it out there!
I am doing Centennial Blond and just used the 05 for the first time. Low end of the ferment temp scale. 9 days in it is still cloudy and I'm picking up aromas from the air lock so I figure it must still be venting. After the krausen fell I saw bubbles and slime that look like a lot I've seen in many a "is my beer infected" threads. I figured it would have to have been a MASSIVE infection to take hold that soon after high krausen. Still some bubbles on top but they are less and less day. It has been very slow, but I'm in no hurry.

As I am apt to say on the telescope making list. Patience is NOT a virtue. It is a tool.
Hermit is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #17
ntempleton
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 92
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by findthefish View Post
Also (sorry I couldn't let this go) how expensive is US-05 where you live that you go through the trouble to reuse it so much?
$3.50/pack at my LHBS. Sure, cheaper than liquid yeast, but expensive enough to reuse a time or two.



To Permo, let it sit. It'll finish, it just needs a bit more time.
__________________
--
Nic Templeton - Seattle WA
ntempleton is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:17 AM   #18
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,812
Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by permo View Post
Hoegaarden....that is some good stuff. SWMBO and my bmc father both like it. I didn't ever think about harvesting the yeast. But now i am going too.
What I did to harvest it was to, over the period of a week drink 2 sixers of it. I left about 1/2 if beer behind with the yeast. After I finished a bottle I flamed and sanitized the lip of the bottle and recapped it with a fresh sanitized cap. Then I stuck it in the fridge until I had my 12, then I made a started, and reversed the process, I sprayed the cap area with sanitizer, uncapped it then flamed the bottle and dumped the dregs in my flask. I think I ended up with 4 washed mason jars full after that.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:19 AM   #19
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Revvy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: "Detroitish" Michigan
Posts: 40,812
Liked 2874 Times on 1699 Posts
Likes Given: 3511

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbspindel View Post
sh*t, i'm paying $4.95 for each pack of US 05! that's local. Not bad compared to liquid yeast, but worth harvesting? yes. if doing a starter with it is ok, when i get equipment to do so, will i? yes. (*note: everyone says don't do a starter for dry yeast, but it doesnt make sense to me. I haven't researched it yet though; that's why i say 'if...it is ok')
Yeah dry yeast has doubled in price the last couple months. It may be smart to wash and harvest our dry yeast. I did it once. Biermuncher harvests all his dry yeasts.

Of course after you wash and harvest it, you do all know, you then treat it like liquid and make starters when you want to use them.
__________________
Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew
Revvy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 01:03 AM   #20
Hermit
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Alternate Universe
Posts: 2,262
Liked 70 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Yeah dry yeast has doubled in price the last couple months. It may be smart to wash and harvest our dry yeast. I did it once. Biermuncher harvests all his dry yeasts.

Of course after you wash and harvest it, you do all know, you then treat it like liquid and make starters when you want to use them.
I'm thinking less along the lines of harvesting from the used and just setting aside some of the starter.


Hermit is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to get a long, sweet finish in beer? nigel31 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 01-03-2010 03:34 PM
How can you wait so long for mead to finish? triangulum33 Mead Forum 12 11-10-2009 03:11 PM
Barley wine - how long to finish after opening? tincob General Beer Discussion 4 10-21-2009 01:25 PM
Attenuation Concerns TheJadedDog General Techniques 5 09-13-2007 04:24 PM
New Guy Concerns TallyBrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 07-31-2007 02:27 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS