Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brew Science > Using R/O water for brewing.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 AM   #51
KYB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

A guy I work with makes very good beer using RO water and adding nothing. It is labeled as drinking water, but I guess he didn't know it went through RO. His porter is one of the best I've ever had. Very surprised. We are starting to talk about water chem. I'd like to see how his beers taste with minerals added.

I've recently brewed a few batches around 90% RO water and the rest tap. We'll see how they turn out. Tap water alone with my light colored beers produces metallic off flavors.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 AM   #52
johnnyboy1965
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synovia View Post
Thats a reasonably safe assumption. RO strips about 95% of everything, so if your water is reasonable, it should be pretty similar across the board (sorry phoenix and your 1500ppm tds)
Unfortunatley this is not so. R/O units work on a percentage of capability. My R/O unit runs aat 98.9% effecient. My tap water reads 264ppm before filtering, so it should read 2.9ppm after (its actually 4ppm).

So, if I was in Pheonix where the water is 1500ppm (WTF) it will come out at 16.5ppm.

The only trouble with R/O units are that they do strip everything out of the water including trace elements. These trace elements, wnich are impossible to replace, are what give different water its taste. eg. Burton-upon-Trent, England.

If you just want to remove the fhlorides and cholrides it is very cheap and easy to set up a activated carbon filter.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #53
MX1
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 71 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Ok, so I have lots of Culligan bottled water.

the report on it can be found here
Culligan waer report

but it does notlist some of the items asked for on EZ water spred sheet.

If someone cold look at the report and give the base values, it might be a good plce for Culligan users to start.

Tim

Ferm 1: Irish Red Ale
Ferm 2:

On Deck: American Wheat

Keg 1: Un-Common
Keg 2: Switchback Stout

Total Gallons brewed (2015) - 10