Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Partial - BBD Saison Furtif

Old 05-31-2013, 02:56 AM   #321
bolus14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Checked the gravity today, day 13, and its at 1.011. The hydro sample was very cloudy still too so still plent of yeast floating, hopefully doing there thing. Smell is thankfully citrusy, I would say sweet orange and lemony like citrus, not grapefruit-ish. Taste is great I can't wait to bottle and get some carbonation in this!!!!! Has the citrus of the smell and the Belgian funk, almost Brett like.

I'm planning for two more weeks in the primary and then if OG and clarity looks good i will bottle. If OG is still above 03 or 04 I might give it an extra week. If OG is good and clarity isn't good then I will transfer to secondary and keep the secondary on the floor in my basement. Floor temp is pretty cold this tome of year probably 50 - 55 ish so it'll be close to cold crashing it. Then I will bottle and wait till week of July 4th.

If this ends up tasting as good as I'm hoping it will become my "haus" brew, with some modifications for each season. Any input for chnges to make this an autum, winter, and spring brew would be greatly appreciated.

I'll update again once its bottled and carbed.

Old 06-07-2013, 11:48 PM   #322
bolus14
Recipes 

At day 21 now and FG has been at 1.005 for two days now. I think I'm going to bottle in the next couple days. That'll give it 4 weeks in the bottle before July 4th weekend!!!

4 weeks will be plenty of time for carbing and a small amount of conditioning time.

Any thoughts? I'm just questioning whether I should give it another week before bottling. I like the dryness where it's at right now. I'm not a big fan of "bone" dry beers, or wines for that matter.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:58 AM   #323
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolus14 View Post
At day 21 now and FG has been at 1.005 for two days now. I think I'm going to bottle in the next couple days. That'll give it 4 weeks in the bottle before July 4th weekend!!!

4 weeks will be plenty of time for carbing and a small amount of conditioning time.

Any thoughts? I'm just questioning whether I should give it another week before bottling. I like the dryness where it's at right now. I'm not a big fan of "bone" dry beers, or wines for that matter.
Well, bottling it isn't going to stop that. If the yeast is going to take it down further it's going to do it in whether it's in the carboy or in the bottle. It's close enough that you're not going to get bottle bombs or anything though. They just might get a little dryer and fizzier as time goes by.

Might be a little young after just a month in the bottle. Drinkable, but it won't be at it's best until sometime in August, I'd say.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #324
bolus14
Recipes 

Thanks for the info, after my last post I thought more about it and figured the yeast would still keep bringing it down in the bottle. If it ends up drier the taste will still be excellent from what i can tell right now. The hydro sample was still pretty cloudy, should it be at this point?

What if I dropped the temp of the fermenter down to 55 - 60 for a week. Is it possible that would get the yeast to drop out do to the cooler temp?

I was afraid it would be a little green for July 4th. I'm only planning to break out maybe 12 bottles for then, might not need that many as Im planning to open a 7 month old Sam Adams Griffins Bow and either a 7 month old Ommegang Three Philosophers or Art of Darkness.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #325
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the info, after my last post I thought more about it and figured the yeast would still keep bringing it down in the bottle. If it ends up drier the taste will still be excellent from what i can tell right now. The hydro sample was still pretty cloudy, should it be at this point?
The wheat will make it a bit cloudy. That's just how the beer is.

Old 06-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #326
bolus14
Recipes 

Ok. Most of the commercials saisons I've had have been pretty clear, that's why I was asking. Makes sense that the wheat will make it cloudy.

After some thought on "cold crashing" before bottlong, I don't think it'll keep the FG where its at. Once I bottle and bring the temps up to mid 70's to carb them the yeast would end up drying it out in the bottle.

Old 06-11-2013, 02:04 AM   #327
bolus14
Recipes 

Bottled 'er up tonight and at this point WOW!!!! Hydro has been 1.002 for two days so it can't drop much more in the bottle, if it does at all.
It still is maintaining the citrus and doesn't seem to be "drying out." We'll see if the carbonation makes it feel drier, but i really hope not.

I picked up a couple of saisons to compare it too, and because I've just been wanting to drink the style for a while now. I got Victory Swing and Ommegang Hennepin. I've had Hennepin many times before, many say it's a good one to compare others to. Victory Swing is extremely dry in the finish, lacks much Belgian characterstics, and just lacks anything that would want me to buy it again. I felt the same about their Tripel so to me the Belgian stuff just isn't their thing. Prima Pils is a staple for Pilsner and their Stout isn't bad at all either, their Belgians are just lacking and if I had to guess they're not using Belgian yeast.

At this point unless this changes drastically with carbonation and time, I think it may be a favorite of mine.

Old 06-11-2013, 06:39 AM   #328
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:

At this point unless this changes drastically with carbonation and time, I think it may be a favorite of mine.
It is mine. My absolute favorite beer, period, homebrew or commercial.

Old 06-19-2013, 03:32 AM   #329
bolus14
Recipes 

Ok criticize me all you want but after a week in the bottle and 24 hrs in the fridge I popped one open.

Going to be tough to not open these before our July 4th party. Its still a little hot/green but still better than all the commercial saisons I've tried. I think the ABV will definitely sneak up on anybody that doesn't know this is at or just over 8%. The file with my notes got corrupted so I can't look up what my OG was.

I'd like to try this recipe with some rye for the fall or possibly put it in the secondary with some cinnamon and nutmeg. I just wonder if the citrus notes and those spices will mesh well, my initially thoughts are they won't so...

Cat thanks a ton for this recipe, will definitely brew again, next time will be AG since I just bought equipment to do BIAB.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #330
TheChompin1
Recipes 

Brewed the extract version last night and hit 1.060. I probably should have done a better job with steeping to get more sugars but it is what it is now. I followed the recipe to the T and it will be fermenting in an 80 to 85 degree room. Looking forward to the finished product in a couple months!
One question: Do I keep secondary temps in the 80s or do I take it down to 65-70? Thanks for the great recipe!