Saison BBD Saison Furtif - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Saison BBD Saison Furtif

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #21
Razorbrew
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 157
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
For the 60 minute addition, you could swap out anything according to AA% since they're just for bittering. For the other additions... it won't come out quite the same but you might be able to do something with the Willamette hops. They have some nice spicey and earthy tones. On this beer, the hops aren't the central flavor but they do accent the character of the yeast a lot.
Willamette it is then. Thanks.


__________________
Razorbrew! Go Hogs!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #22
Razorbrew
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 157
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Brewed this last night. Upscaled to an 8 gallon batch. Hit my mash numbers right on. Ended up using Amarillo and Willamette (what I had). Used the Wyeast 3711 starter. OG was a little higher that OP's but I did round up a bit on the grain [ and hops ] when placing the order. OG of 1.073. Bubbling away this morning. Fermentation should be in the upper 70's.


__________________
Razorbrew! Go Hogs!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #23
starrfish
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Florence, SC
Posts: 1,984
Liked 31 Times on 26 Posts


will be unveiling this one next weekend while camping... After Shark Fishing... NOT Before!!! LOL or they may be calling me "Stubby"
__________________
Yankee Sand Flea on a Southern Beach.

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #24
ChshreCat
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,538
Liked 538 Times on 431 Posts


Razor: If yours dries out like mine, you're going to end up over 9% abv. Woah!

Starfish: Lookin' forward to hearing what you think of it. Good call on having it AFTER shark fishing. If yours is as light as mine, it'll really sneak up on you. How did your FG come out? Around 1.000?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #25
Razorbrew
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 157
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I am considering using raw sugar. Do you think any of the molasses flavor of the raw sugar will come through or think it a waste of money?
__________________
Razorbrew! Go Hogs!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #26
ChshreCat
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,538
Liked 538 Times on 431 Posts


Waste of money, if you ask me. Don't think you'd want molasses flavor in this anyway. That's good for stouts and porters and dark malty things like that. It'd really seem out of place in a saison.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #27
Razorbrew
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 157
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Razor: If yours dries out like mine, you're going to end up over 9% abv. Woah!

Starfish: Lookin' forward to hearing what you think of it. Good call on having it AFTER shark fishing. If yours is as light as mine, it'll really sneak up on you. How did your FG come out? Around 1.000?
It's only been a couple of weeks but I am down to 1.0044. Is there a big difference between where I am and 1.000? I am in no hurry for this beer as my pipeline is good. I will probably wait at least another week before I transfer to a corny, and it may be a while before I have a spot for it in the keezer.

Any recommendations to get it to drop the rest of the way?
__________________
Razorbrew! Go Hogs!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #28
ChshreCat
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,538
Liked 538 Times on 431 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbrew View Post
It's only been a couple of weeks but I am down to 1.0044. Is there a big difference between where I am and 1.000? I am in no hurry for this beer as my pipeline is good. I will probably wait at least another week before I transfer to a corny, and it may be a while before I have a spot for it in the keezer.

Any recommendations to get it to drop the rest of the way?
Just time. Since your OG was higher than mine, it might well be done at a few points higher than mine. If it were any other yeast, I'd say it was done for sure but this one kind of bends the rules. I wouldn't rouse it or anything at this point since it's probably getting nice and clear. Just keep it warm and if it's still at the same SG in a week, declare it finished and keg it. A little aging in a cool spot won't hurt this beer a bit so no rush to get it in your keezer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #29
ChshreCat
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,538
Liked 538 Times on 431 Posts


Got my strike water heating up for a batch of this as we speak. Feels good to brew again after a bit of a dry spell.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #30
Razorbrew
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Fayetteville, AR
Posts: 157
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Just time. Since your OG was higher than mine, it might well be done at a few points higher than mine. If it were any other yeast, I'd say it was done for sure but this one kind of bends the rules. I wouldn't rouse it or anything at this point since it's probably getting nice and clear. Just keep it warm and if it's still at the same SG in a week, declare it finished and keg it. A little aging in a cool spot won't hurt this beer a bit so no rush to get it in your keezer.
It was done. ... and is now on tap. Very nice. I think it will be even better in a month when it mellows a bit.


__________________
Razorbrew! Go Hogs!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honey Rye Saison with Wyeast 3711 French Saison and Orval dregs mozart4898 Lambic & Wild Brewing 10 07-09-2016 03:55 PM
Northern Brewer Petite Saison d'Ete recipe (Summer Saison) CadiBrewer Recipes/Ingredients 3 02-29-2016 07:16 PM
Saison Miel de Sarraison - Buckwheat Honey Saison bolus14 Recipes/Ingredients 6 06-03-2015 04:43 PM
WLP565 Belgian Saison Yeast in a Black Saison JLW Fermentation & Yeast 26 08-02-2012 02:40 AM
How quickly can I serve a saison using WLP565 saison yeast ThreeDogsNE Fermentation & Yeast 1 07-19-2011 10:05 PM


Forum Jump