Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Belgian and French Ale > Partial - BBD Saison Furtif

Old 06-18-2010, 08:07 PM   #21
Razorbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
For the 60 minute addition, you could swap out anything according to AA% since they're just for bittering. For the other additions... it won't come out quite the same but you might be able to do something with the Willamette hops. They have some nice spicey and earthy tones. On this beer, the hops aren't the central flavor but they do accent the character of the yeast a lot.
Willamette it is then. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:43 PM   #22
Razorbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this last night. Upscaled to an 8 gallon batch. Hit my mash numbers right on. Ended up using Amarillo and Willamette (what I had). Used the Wyeast 3711 starter. OG was a little higher that OP's but I did round up a bit on the grain [ and hops ] when placing the order. OG of 1.073. Bubbling away this morning. Fermentation should be in the upper 70's.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:19 PM   #23
starrfish
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 25

will be unveiling this one next weekend while camping... After Shark Fishing... NOT Before!!! LOL or they may be calling me "Stubby"

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 07-09-2010, 08:39 PM   #24
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Razor: If yours dries out like mine, you're going to end up over 9% abv. Woah!

Starfish: Lookin' forward to hearing what you think of it. Good call on having it AFTER shark fishing. If yours is as light as mine, it'll really sneak up on you. How did your FG come out? Around 1.000?

Old 07-11-2010, 01:40 PM   #25
Razorbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am considering using raw sugar. Do you think any of the molasses flavor of the raw sugar will come through or think it a waste of money?

Old 07-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #26
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Waste of money, if you ask me. Don't think you'd want molasses flavor in this anyway. That's good for stouts and porters and dark malty things like that. It'd really seem out of place in a saison.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #27
Razorbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Razor: If yours dries out like mine, you're going to end up over 9% abv. Woah!

Starfish: Lookin' forward to hearing what you think of it. Good call on having it AFTER shark fishing. If yours is as light as mine, it'll really sneak up on you. How did your FG come out? Around 1.000?
It's only been a couple of weeks but I am down to 1.0044. Is there a big difference between where I am and 1.000? I am in no hurry for this beer as my pipeline is good. I will probably wait at least another week before I transfer to a corny, and it may be a while before I have a spot for it in the keezer.

Any recommendations to get it to drop the rest of the way?

Old 07-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #28
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbrew View Post
It's only been a couple of weeks but I am down to 1.0044. Is there a big difference between where I am and 1.000? I am in no hurry for this beer as my pipeline is good. I will probably wait at least another week before I transfer to a corny, and it may be a while before I have a spot for it in the keezer.

Any recommendations to get it to drop the rest of the way?
Just time. Since your OG was higher than mine, it might well be done at a few points higher than mine. If it were any other yeast, I'd say it was done for sure but this one kind of bends the rules. I wouldn't rouse it or anything at this point since it's probably getting nice and clear. Just keep it warm and if it's still at the same SG in a week, declare it finished and keg it. A little aging in a cool spot won't hurt this beer a bit so no rush to get it in your keezer.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 PM   #29
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Got my strike water heating up for a batch of this as we speak. Feels good to brew again after a bit of a dry spell.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:43 PM   #30
Razorbrew
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Just time. Since your OG was higher than mine, it might well be done at a few points higher than mine. If it were any other yeast, I'd say it was done for sure but this one kind of bends the rules. I wouldn't rouse it or anything at this point since it's probably getting nice and clear. Just keep it warm and if it's still at the same SG in a week, declare it finished and keg it. A little aging in a cool spot won't hurt this beer a bit so no rush to get it in your keezer.
It was done. ... and is now on tap. Very nice. I think it will be even better in a month when it mellows a bit.