Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Anyone else crazy enough to brew today...

Old 01-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #11
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Got down to -4F here in balmy E Central IL last night (well, Saturday night). No brewing going on here, no way to do the chilling.....strange to say. I could always come back indoors and do extract, but I don't really need the beer, still have plenty in the pipeline from the Fall.

Anybody have any special tricks or tips to advance for brewing in these temperatures? I suppose no-chill would be the first thing to consider....

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
kkocher13
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Brewed in Northeast PA on Sunday. Brewed inside and chilled outside. Putting some water in a wheel barrow was the better than any wort chiller money could buy. 212 to 75 in 6 minutes. I love cold weather brewing. Well except for the disposing of the water. I dumped it out on my patio and made a beautiful ice skating rink. I guess you've got to take the good with the bad.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:30 PM   #13
mojotele
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I brewed a stout outside during the blizzard about 2 weeks ago. I was under my deck, which has some small barricades on either side, so there was some coverage. It was fun, though! I'm hoping the random few snowflakes that made their way into the kettle will give it that little extra something

Old 01-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
HomerJR
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I've got a brewday planned for Thursday (an as-yet unnamed IPA), and the forecast calls for a high o' 20*. I'll be in the (unheated) garage, so the wind shouldn't be an issue, but still damn cold. Good tunes, a couple o' homebrews, it'll all be good.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #15
Kaner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567 View Post
Got down to -4F here in balmy E Central IL last night (well, Saturday night). No brewing going on here, no way to do the chilling.....strange to say. I could always come back indoors and do extract, but I don't really need the beer, still have plenty in the pipeline from the Fall.

Anybody have any special tricks or tips to advance for brewing in these temperatures? I suppose no-chill would be the first thing to consider....
That's what I was thinking (no-chill) until I read some of the other posts about the water from the chiller freezing on the driveway. When it's that cold do you even need a chiller? I was planning on doing an extract brew tomorrow night and just sticking it out in the snow to let it cool. It's supposed to be in the single digits before the wind chill here. So I figured out there in snow with negative wind chill would do a pretty good job of cooling it down. Should I stick to the chiller or am I good with the weather?

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see kochers reply. I'm stickin her in the snow!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #16
stageseven
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrock56 View Post
in the Delaware/Philly area. It was effin effin today!

We made a stout in the 20 degree weather with 40mph gusts.
The discharge from the wort chiller instantly froze to the driveway!

just curious

Yes, but I'm doing it inside as a stovetop all-grain 2.5 gallon batch. My condo is heated by hot wort...

Old 01-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #17
eagle61
Recipes 

Probably didn't need the chiller, but I am a noob, this was my 2nd batch and the first with a chiller... I was using the chiller no matter what!
Bottled: Fat Tire Clone, Strong as A Scot Wee Heavy, Rogue Dead Guy Ale Clone, ESB, Bee Cave Haus Pale Ale (AG), Evil Dead Red (AG), Honey Blonde (AG)

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Old 01-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #18
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 842 Times on 623 Posts
Likes Given: 1105

This cold weather is killing me! I'm going to risk it and boil my next batch right by my front door with the ceiling fan on. I've gotten horrible boils for my last 2 batches.

Old 01-05-2010, 02:16 AM   #19
khanti
Recipes 

When the urge to brew strikes and it's in the single digits or lower, I'll brew 1-gallon test batches on the stove top. I love to brew, but I like being warm, too...

Old 01-05-2010, 03:36 AM   #20
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed saturday, when i started it was 7 or 8 above 0. Actually did two batches that day. It sucked for brewing...but i loved every minute of it.