Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Grain Disposal

Old 01-03-2010, 04:15 PM   #21
Whut
Mmmm, beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1717 Times on 1603 Posts
Likes Given: 8677

A neighbor of mine takes some of the grain and makes dog cookies. Our Beagle loves them.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #22
beergutguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

any receipes for dog biscuts? I put all of mine in the compost, but hey, I'm sure the dog would like a scooby snack!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:13 AM   #23
Whut
Mmmm, beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1717 Times on 1603 Posts
Likes Given: 8677

Quote:
Originally Posted by beergutguy View Post
any receipes for dog biscuts? I put all of mine in the compost, but hey, I'm sure the dog would like a scooby snack!
BeerGutGuy, I believe I copied this from BYO but I'm not 100% positive. If you'd like some for your pooch to try PM me your address and I'll send you some.

4 cups spent grain
4 cups flour
1 cup creamy peanut butter
1 egg

Mix all ingredients thoroughly. Press down into a dense layer on a large cookie sheet. Score almost all the way through into the shapes you want. Bake for about half an hour at 350 F to solidify them. Loosen them from the sheet, break the biscuits apart and return them, loosely spread out on the cookie sheet, to the oven at 225 F for 3 to 4 hours (or until they are really dry) to prevent mold growth. Store in an airtight container to keep them dry and mold-free.

Old 01-04-2010, 03:55 AM   #24
Baldy_Beer_Brewery
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 11

That is the same recipe I use to make dog treats, my dogs love them. Something I find makes the process go better is to add the peanut butter to the grains while the wort is coming to a boil as it is easier to mix while the grain is still hot. I also use a potato masher for this. Then in the cookie sheet, a pizza cutter quickly scores the cookies. I use a food dehydrator instead of returning them to the oven.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:33 AM   #25
artguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mine go in a compost pile. Someday I hope I'll also get around to making doggie snacks with a portion of the grains (my dogs hope so too).

Old 01-04-2010, 06:44 AM   #26
winstonofbeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just take the cooler full of all the grains and go out to the garden and huck them where ever they lay....
I am sure this spring when i till all those grains into the soil, I should have some very happy plants.... and weeds

Right now my garden area looks like grain land mines all over the garden....
Works great in the winter, no smell... In the summer when its 110...Kinda smells a wee bit. Last year when my compost bin was going full swing, My neighbor thought her dog that had passed away earlier that year was smelling. It was all i could do not to laugh and say it was just the compost bin and spent grain.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #27
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Check out this recipe, sounds delicious

Old 05-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #28
aldousbee
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Usually I end brewing at 11PM. I usually leave the grains inside the MLT until the next day when I dispose it since I'm too tired. I would like to do the dog biscuits but would the grains still be OK the next day or should I scoop some and place it in the freezer until I need to bake them?

Old 05-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #29
Wreck99
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 62

I've done the dog biscuits before and my dog (shetland sheepdog) loves them. Not sure about waiting a day with them out, I usually do the day of brewing. Good question though, not sure how long it would take for mold to form.

Primary: Cream Ale
Secondary: Apple Cider
On Tap: GP SMaSH, Cherry Wheat, Wrecked Lager, Watermelon Wheat, Citra Ale

"Beer, it's the best damn drink in the world." -Jack Nicholson

Old 05-19-2012, 10:17 AM   #30
ButcherBoy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldousbee
Usually I end brewing at 11PM. I usually leave the grains inside the MLT until the next day when I dispose it since I'm too tired. I would like to do the dog biscuits but would the grains still be OK the next day or should I scoop some and place it in the freezer until I need to bake them?
I wouldn't let them set overnight, especially in a warm climate. My wife and I do bread and biscuits with ours, when I brew I take a couple of containers of grain out of the tun and put them in the fridge until we want to use them. The rest go in the compost pile.