Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > No harm in asking

Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 PM   #11
Emerald
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinermad View Post
Hmmm, there's an idea. There's a mulberry tree that hangs over the fence around the parking lot at work. Nobody parks under it when the berries are ripe because they drop on the cars and stain the paint. I could spread a sheet on the ground and collect quite a bit.

Unfortunately the birds know about the tree too, and I'd probably collect more than just mulberries. But I do have a ton of raspberry bushes out back...

Dave
When I pick the berries, I too just lay a sheet on the ground and then I give the branch or tree trunk(does depend on the size of the tree) a good hard shake or two and the ripe ones fall right off.
We just found out this summer that several of the smaller trees that are in the yard and the back field have white berries! They tend to be much sweeter and it seems that the birds just don't like them as well as the dark black colored ones, so that might be my best bet for getting more. I had not heard of white mulberries so I had to run right in and check them out on the old computer. The white ones do tend to be sweeter with a honey flavor built in so I am think that they would be great for mead.
I must remember to freeze half for the secondary and rack the mead over it.
From the reading that I have done on here that seems to be the general consensus- 1/2 the fruit in the primary and 1/2 in the secondary gives a more complex fruit flavor.
Great Googley Moogley- I guess when I get going about my gardens and plants, I just run on and on.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:58 PM   #12
Teromous
Beer Gnome
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 497 Times on 270 Posts
Likes Given: 59

You could always just let the yeasties eat the frosting ;P

Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
Hinermad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teromous View Post
You could always just let the yeasties eat the frosting ;P
Not likely. This is commercial frosting - it has no nutritional value whatsoever. No self-respecting microbe, insect, or rodent will touch it. Only humans will eat this stuff. You can't even use it for spackle because it never dries out.

Dave

Old 01-04-2010, 02:32 PM   #14
Hinermad
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
We just found out this summer that several of the smaller trees that are in the yard and the back field have white berries! They tend to be much sweeter and it seems that the birds just don't like them as well as the dark black colored ones, so that might be my best bet for getting more.
We have a white raspberry bush in the back yard. The kids bought it for my wife for Mother's Day years ago. It's growing even faster than the wild black raspberries. We never picked the fruit because we didn't think it was ripe, it just went from green to pale yellow-pink and then dried up. The birds left it alone and went for the wild berries. I didn't realize the pink color meant they were ripe until I pulled one off while I was mowing one day and ate it. It's very sweet and doesn't really have much flavor, at least not as much as the black ones. I don't think it'd make a very flavorful wine, but with this surpuls of fermenters I might give it a try anyway.

Dave