I want a double wide deep sink!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I saw a few guys on here have real nice deep sinks.

I have a nice clean single deep sink connected to my washing machines output. It is a task to clean cornys and carboys and a straight up pain to wash Mashtun and my keggle in. I want a big boy sink, I want to redo my basement laundry room to include a double wide deep sink. And storage shelves for my brewing gear.

It is now not practical to clean my keggle and other equipment in the cold michigan winter outside using a hose. (PS this cramped cleanup inside is reducing the amount of winter brewing way more than the standing out in the cold)

I can not find much using google. or window shopping homedepo or lowes

I search craigslist hoping to find one from a restaurant but the ones I find are too big to get it home or conventional sinks.

Any one have ideas for searches or sources, and those with great wash setups do you care to share any pics here?

cheers

I tried to go out and buy one a month or so ago and man was I disappointed in the quality available at big box stores. I'd be interested in knowing where to get a good deep utility sink too.

I will say that you are much better off building a keg and carboy washer (plans abound on the intraweb) with a sump pump in a bucket for the kegs and carboys. I built one of those and it changed my life. Less than $100 and about 2 hours total of picking out parts at home depot and assembling, and I am far from handy (this is the most complicated thing I have DIY'ed, I hate DIY).

I hear you on hosing off the keggles outside in the cold though, believe me.

I tried to go out and buy one a month or so ago and man was I disappointed in the quality available at big box stores. I'd be interested in knowing where to get a good deep utility sink too.

I will say that you are much better off building a keg and carboy washer (plans abound on the intraweb) with a sump pump in a bucket for the kegs and carboys. I built one of those and it changed my life. Less than $100 and about 2 hours total of picking out parts at home depot and assembling, and I am far from handy (this is the most complicated thing I have DIY'ed, I hate DIY).

I hear you on hosing off the keggles outside in the cold though, believe me.

Mind posting pics and/or links to what you built? Sounds nice.

The choices today seem to be restaurant-grade or resin tubs from the big boxes. I looked into it as well 3-4 years ago when I build a new garage and converted the old one into a brewery. The single sink is too small, but I couldn't find anything I liked.

A dairy supply store should be able to help you out with a nice used sink. I am using one from an old milkhouse.

I've had really good luck with the El Mustee 24"x36" mop sink. I had to do a special order from Home Depot, but they tacked it onto their "shop order" for other El Mustee products and I saved the extra shipping charge. The sink was ~300 - but is really solid.

I installed mine on an elevated base to make it easier to clean heavy stuff - like dogs and kettles. If I had it to do again, I'd have made triangle frames on the end and left the middle open - I'm always standing on the 2x4 to get closer to the sink. The backerboard is ubercheap melamine. It sucks as a base for the sink (scratches and opens up), but rocks on the walls. I'm moving the sink this spring to make way for trench drains in the garage and will use tile for the base then.

main.php

main.php

A dairy supply store should be able to help you out with a nice used sink. I am using one from an old milkhouse.

kajon......would you please post a pic of what your using?

thanks for both of the tips "milk supply house" and unholymess for the home depot special order "mop sink"

Are there any places that deal in used restaraunt supplies? There are a couple here by me that only carry used stuff - they must do tear-outs of places that go under - there's always a stack of them there. I've also seen them at the scrap metal place down the road from me. Usually have a few dents, but I can get stuff there for the price of scrap stainless. Got my last keggle there for about $9.

Wouldn't it be simple to build whatever size sink you wanted with 1X2 frame and lined with the white plastic used is cheap showers? Caulk it up for sealing joints?? Should be relatively cheap to.

Look at restaurant supply or liquidation stores. I have a 2x2x2 double basin stainless sink recovered from a restaurant demolition. Was a pots and pans sink.

It's been sitting outside in the yard now for 4 or 5 years waiting for a house remodel to have an actual life again.

I may have found the cheap solution, homedepot double basin 40 by 24, but it needs to be modified to remove the divider and plumb up both drains to my current drain
336f4b9b-8d5d-40b4-90d1-0bfa9e7c84c3_300.jpg

$100 at the HD, any design comments or ideas, I have to see this in person, I guess they wont stock it locally.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100029350

I suspect that what little structural integrity that has will be compromised as soon as you start hacking it up. They are pretty flimsy to begin with.

how handy are you?
could you make one with plywood and fiberglass?
could you mould one out of cement?

could you just craigslist a dishwasher?

I am semi-handy but have never made anything other than speaker boxes out of wood or fiberglass, my coworker just thought of an idea, he said make my own out of tile like a stand up shower, or just put in a shower and clean it in there.

what about a pig trough (galvinzied) from like tractor supply store and build a stand and put a drain in the bottom?

how handy are you?
could you make one with plywood and fiberglass?
could you mould one out of cement?

could you just craigslist a dishwasher?

I am semi-handy but have never made anything other than speaker boxes out of wood or fiberglass, my coworker just thought of an idea, he said make my own out of tile like a stand up shower, or just put in a shower and clean it in there.

what about a pig trough (galvinzied) from like tractor supply store and build a stand and put a drain in the bottom?

Wouldn't it be simple to build whatever size sink you wanted with 1X2 frame and lined with the white plastic used is cheap showers? Caulk it up for sealing joints?? Should be relatively cheap to.

Am I invisible??

lol....... IP i think it is a good idea and would be an affordable way to do it.

But how would one shape this DIY sink to allow it to drain properly as I am imagining a sinke with 90 corners with a caulk bead, and that reminds me of my moldy mildew shower

mine is not this bad, but I hate re-caulking my tub
istockphoto_5829297-disgusting-hotel-shower-bathroom-tile-sealant-with-mould-and-mildew.jpg

lol....... IP i think it is a good idea and would be an affordable way to do it.

But how would one shape this DIY sink to allow it to drain properly as I am imagining a sinke with 90 corners with a caulk bead[/IMG]

Build your bottom at an angle. Don't use big ugly blobs of caulk and it will look fine. Run your caulk then use a spoon to finish.

I use one of those giant rubbermaid 40+ gallon totes on the counter right next to my utility sink. Cut a hole in the end for a drain hose, and voila...huge ass cheapo sink.

For the spigot/sprayer I use a 6' length of garden hose with a shutoff valve nozzle on the end attached to my utility sink faucet.

In addition, I put a brass y adapter with shutoffs and garden hose disconnects on the utility sink faucet, so I can use the spigot in the sink without removing the garden hose.

I also highly recommend putting your brass jet bottle washer on a quick disconnect, super quick and easy changeovers.

I bought my large sink from a restaurant supply store. It's a single however, not a double (don't have room for a double).

They are expensive however compared to a regular plastic laundry sink. Expect to pay at least $400-500+ for a new one. The prewash arm is not included either.

IMG_1700.jpg

The arm is most certainly the best part. Make kettle cleaning very easy.

Kal

Check to see if you have a Habitat for humanity "restore". Also, metal recyclers. Posting a WTB on CL brings in all kinds of nutso stuff.

Nice job! $250 is a screaming deal for a double sink with a side counter. I'm impressed!

Looks to be in good shape too.

Kal

Back