MLT leakage problem - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > MLT leakage problem

Old 01-02-2010, 02:57 AM   #1
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT
Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts

My MLT has developed a very small leak and since everything is closed right now due to the holiday, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a quick fix on that? The leak is really small (less than a qt over the course of a mash and sparge), so I can still use it if I can't fix it, but I will have to compensate with a little extra grain. Thanks.

-AJ

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-02-2010, 04:13 AM   #2
Grizzlybrew

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

A quart seems like a large amount!!! Where is it leaking from? What kind of MLT do you have?

Old 01-02-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT

It's leaking from the bulkhead fitting, but I didn't do a conversion on it. I use the steel mesh and siphon tube lautering method. The cooler is a 70 qt igloo max cold. Thanks.

-AJ

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Oct 2008
Groton, CT

I fixed the problem. One of the plastic gaskets in the bulkhead fitting assembly was broken allowing leakage to get past. While I don't have an extra gasket laying around, I was able to find an o-ring that fit and added that to the assembly. I also assembled it backwards (i.e. threads coming out of the cooler). I just put a typical mash volume of water in the cooler and am happy to report no leaks. I am going to let the water sit in there over night and if there are still no leaks I am going to call it good. Thanks for the reply, Grizzly.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 01-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Grizzlybrew

Recipes 

Apr 2009
Austin, TX
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Good to hear! That was going to be my only suggestion. I've used plastic o-rings in both of my MT's for the past year and haven't had to replace either of them. I know they are not specifically heat-rated, but they seem to hold up all right. Happy Brewing!