Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Wort cold break
Old 10-25-2006, 03:17 AM   #1
Pirate Ale
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Wort cold break

I was wondering...

I want to do 5 gallon full boils for my extract brews. I know I will need a wort chiller. Now the question is, how fast do you have to bring down the temp to achieve a really good cold break?

Has anyone ever packed the hose that runs into the wort chiller in to a cooler of ice. I was thinking this would drop the temp on the incoming water to the low 40's dF. and provide for quicker cooling. Is this theory wrong?

Old 10-25-2006, 03:19 AM   #2
10th-Level Beer Nerd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 490 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 114

Yeah, you can make a pre-chiller. Lots of people in the south do it because their tap water is so warm in the summer. Generally, it's a second length of coiled tubing that gets immersed in an ice bath.

My ugly-ass-sin dual-coil chiller got the wort from boiling to under 90 in about ten minutes, quick enough where I could see the cold break forming. Looks so far like this brew's going to be a lot clearer than the previous ones.
Come join Yankee Ingenuity!

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana