Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Requesting help with partigyle Quad/Dubbel recipe
Old 12-31-2009, 01:43 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Requesting help with partigyle Quad/Dubbel recipe

As a result of a recent grain mixing accident (I accidentally had my LHBS mix 1 lb of Special B with 10 lbs of pale), I originally planned to dilute with a quantity of Belgian pilsener and split up the grain into multiple Belgian recipes (dubbels, strong darks, etc...). However, a friend of mine suggested that I use this as an opportunity to make a partigyle recipe with maybe a quadruple or strong dark and a dubbel (I love me some dubbels!).

Anyway, I haven't found many articles on partigyle recipes or recommendations for this combination. I'm thinking of starting with a 10 gal batch, as my MLT will handle that much grain....just have to boil the 2 different batches one at a time since I only have one 8 gal brew kettle. I'd like to stick with two 5 gal batches for now.

So, I looked at some quad and strong dark recipes, but I'm afraid the 1st running would be way too heavy. Likewise with a dubbel recipe, the second half might be too light. So logic would dictate to meet somewhere in the middle. I think once I get a good grainbill, I can work through the nuances of each different style once it gets closer to the boil stage (e.g. type and amount of candi sugar, hops, etc...).

FYI - I'd like to keep the "lighter" half of the recipe above 6% abv. I have a penchant for heavier, full-bodied beers....nothing light, crisp and refreshing for me thank you...

Any thoughts, recommendations or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated, as this will be my first partigyle, although I do have a few all-grain batches under my belt.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I am wondering the same thing. I want to brew a large beer for a friend when they turn 21 and a quad would be good after a couple years aging. And then I get a dubbel to drink for myself

P1: Scottish 70/- P2: Simcoe Pseudo Lager P3: Air P4: Air
Air P6: AIR P7 (3gal): AIR
Keg1 : Air
Keg2 : Air
Keg3 : Air
Keg4(3gal): Air