What keeps you from going pro? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What keeps you from going pro?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
mackinskor
 
mackinskor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
NY
Posts: 103


Title said:

If you have so many recipes, why don't you sell your beer?
__________________
Maestro Brewing
"The Maestro"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #2
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 52,673
Liked 8718 Times on 7006 Posts


because the three-tiered distribution laws and permitting is a PITA.....

and I don't have the money to go big. I make good beer now; but I'm not at the point where I make repeatedly great beer.....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:50 AM   #3
mackinskor
 
mackinskor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
NY
Posts: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
because the three-tiered distribution laws and permitting is a PITA.....

and I don't have the money to go big. I make good beer now; but I'm not at the point where I make repeatedly great beer.....
Forgive my ignorance, could you elaborate on your first sentence?

Pain In The Ass got it like 3 seconds after -- what does three tiered distribution mean?
__________________
Maestro Brewing
"The Maestro"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 52,673
Liked 8718 Times on 7006 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinskor View Post
Forgive my ignorance, could you elaborate on your first sentence?

Pain In The Ass got it like 3 seconds after -- what does three tiered distribution mean?
the way that most states regulate how alcohol is distributed and sold prohibits lots of homebrewers from being able to go commercial.

I can't remember exactly what it is but it has to do with the fact that you as a producer can't sell directly to a bar or store. There's a middle man....

I'm sorry, if I wasn't half in the bag I'd be able to help more.....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
DRoyLenz
 
DRoyLenz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Chicago
Posts: 702
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Time... it's only a matter of time...

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:06 AM   #6
mackinskor
 
mackinskor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
NY
Posts: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_IPA View Post
the way that most states regulate how alcohol is distributed and sold prohibits lots of homebrewers from being able to go commercial.

I can't remember exactly what it is but it has to do with the fact that you as a producer can't sell directly to a bar or store. There's a middle man....

I'm sorry, if I wasn't half in the bag I'd be able to help more.....
I'm half in the bag if not worse I plan on launching my line of beer within 10-14 months MAX which is why I ask.
__________________
Maestro Brewing
"The Maestro"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:12 AM   #7
AZ_IPA
PKU
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AZ_IPA's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2008
The Cold Part of AZ
Posts: 52,673
Liked 8718 Times on 7006 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinskor View Post
I'm half in the bag if not worse I plan on launching my line of beer within 10-14 months MAX which is why I ask.
Then we can effectively communicate

I can't think of the dudes name on here, but he wrote many threads about what it takes to go pro.....If I remember later, I'll let you know!

Good luck!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:15 AM   #8
Joeywhat
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 203
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


I'd love to go pro once I get things nailed down. One of my dreams is to open a brewpub...need money for the building, equipment, some schooling and obviously the government BS on just about every level that needs to be waded through.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:34 AM   #9
mackinskor
 
mackinskor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
NY
Posts: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
I'd love to go pro once I get things nailed down. One of my dreams is to open a brewpub...need money for the building, equipment, some schooling and obviously the government BS on just about every level that needs to be waded through.
My original plan was brewpub but I figure if I can have a beer that is outstanding, that everyone loves, why not brew it and sell it??
__________________
Maestro Brewing
"The Maestro"

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:39 AM   #10
ClaudiusB
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
El Paso, Texas
Posts: 1,350
Liked 99 Times on 76 Posts


Quote:
I can't think of the dudes name on here, but he wrote many threads about what it takes to go pro.....If I remember later, I'll let you know!
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/thin...brewer-137210/

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/nano...-build-137400/

Cheers,
ClaudiusB

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools



Forum Jump