Recommend a winemaking book? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Recommend a winemaking book?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #1
Hinermad
 
Hinermad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Upstate NY
Posts: 217
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts



The title pretty much says it all. If you were going to suggest a book on winemaking to a beginner, which would it be?

Dave

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #2

Depends on the kind of wine you want to make. Scratch from fresh grapes? Country wines from fruit?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:36 AM   #3
freebd
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
cedar rapids, Iowa
Posts: 46

I started out with the book "The Joy of Home Winemaking" by Terry garey...its a very good read and covers all country wines and grape wines too..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:55 AM   #4
jcobbs
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Alabama
Posts: 448
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by freebd View Post
I started out with the book "The Joy of Home Winemaking" by Terry garey...its a very good read and covers all country wines and grape wines too..
++1 on this one--still my favorite. A good one to read all the way through and come back to later for reference.
__________________
Hickory Glynn Winery & Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:10 AM   #5
ByCandleLightWinery
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Pacific NW
Posts: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebd View Post
I started out with the book "The Joy of Home Winemaking" by Terry garey...its a very good read and covers all country wines and grape wines too..
Also my go to book.

If you wanted to go with grape wines, our local brew store uses Wine making step by step. I picked it up from the library and thumbed thought it. Seems pretty good. I don't mess with grape wines cause I figure I can buy them so easily, and I live in a wine rich region, so why bother?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:22 AM   #6
Hinermad
 
Hinermad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Upstate NY
Posts: 217
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by summersolstice View Post
Depends on the kind of wine you want to make. Scratch from fresh grapes? Country wines from fruit?
Country wines and wine from juice for now. At the moment I'm doing meads and already plan on getting Ken Schramm's book, but I thought it might be a good idea to flesh out the library a bit.

Dave

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
ByCandleLightWinery
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Pacific NW
Posts: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinermad View Post
Country wines and wine from juice for now. At the moment I'm doing meads and already plan on getting Ken Schramm's book, but I thought it might be a good idea to flesh out the library a bit.
The Joy of Home Winemaking is really your best choice then. There is a Making Wild Wines and Meads book out there, but I find it inferior to both Terry Geary and Ken Schramm's books. Good book to check out from the library for inspiring recipes, but don't spend the money to own it.

Ah, I do love checking books out from the library before owning. It has saved me much money.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
Vinic
 
Vinic's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Missouri
Posts: 73
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


You can't do much better than Lum Eisenman's, and it'll only cost you a few moments of download (assuming a high speed connection and a pdf reader):

The Home Winemaker's Manual
__________________
Necessity is a Mother

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 AM   #9
ByCandleLightWinery
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Pacific NW
Posts: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinic View Post
You can't do much better than Lum Eisenman's, and it'll only cost you a few moments of download (assuming a high speed connection and a pdf reader):

The Home Winemaker's Manual
Downloaded it, and I agree for grape wines. Most of the books are pretty much alike when it comes to grape wines, so why not use one for free! (unless you are into that whole book binding thing)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 05:36 AM   #10
Vinic
 
Vinic's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Missouri
Posts: 73
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ByCandleLightWinery View Post
Downloaded it, and I agree for grape wines. Most of the books are pretty much alike when it comes to grape wines, so why not use one for free! (unless you are into that whole book binding thing)

Lum covers fruit (other than grape) also. Starting on page 151 (158 pdf). He includes a few basic recipes, but even better, provides an overall approach of how to make wines from other fruits. More of a formula approach than straight recipes.

For a truly endless list of recipes, (albeit obnoxious web design), Jack Keller's site is the place to go.

Of course, if like you said, the OP is looking for something to pass the time on the toilet, this is not a viable solution..... unless of course there's wifi installed!!
__________________
Necessity is a Mother

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recommend a book MattHollingsworth General Beer Discussion 34 08-03-2009 05:11 PM
Looking for a good winemaking book Mongo64 Winemaking Forum 7 04-10-2009 12:33 PM
New to winemaking beginner08 Winemaking Forum 3 10-11-2008 06:28 PM
Anybody recommend a good book on AG GIusedtoBe All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 09-30-2008 09:04 PM
Which winemaking book is a must have? roxy10_2 Winemaking Forum 0 10-30-2006 03:03 PM


Forum Jump