Old 12-28-2009, 10:14 PM   #1
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Default Growing hops in Missouri

I'm thinking about putting together a hop garden this spring. I can't find a whole heck of a lot of info on growing hops specifically in Missouri, Kansas City area. The weather here can be really hit and miss. My tomotoes didn't produce last year as we really didn't get as much sun as we've had in the past. ...and the lack of those 100 degree days really took it's tool too... lame...

Anyway, if anybody has had experience with growing hops here, let me know what you've found!

Thanks!

Old 12-29-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
BigAl
Recipes 

I live in springfiled. I got about 10 ounces off my vines this year. They are second year. I have 5 varietys. 1 vine did nothing I believe due to the fact that it was to close to my compost pile possible burning it up. Problem with japenese beetles eating up vines. Was on vacation out of town when they attacked my vines. Main thing is to try to water every day or every other when temp is high. I soak each plant for 15 minutes every other day seam to due well. Going to have soil tested this yera to see if need to add anything to improve growth. I'm also going to dig up every other plant to spread them out more. Good luck.

Old 12-31-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
Vinic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We're planning on putting in some vines this spring near Rolla, both on our property and a neighbor nearby. I've heard that someone in this area is having good success, but have not been able to track them down yet.

BigAl, what varieties do you have, and was jap beetles your only pest? no problems with fungus?

Old 12-31-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
BigAl
Recipes 

I have Fuggles,Tettnanger,Glacier,Chinook and Centennial.Really only problem was the Jap beetles. The fuggles didn't get over 10' feet tall. Really didn't get any type of harvest. The tettnanger got about 15' tall and didn't get anything off of it either but both are considerd low yield.the glacier got 20' feet tall real fast didn't put on a lot of side arms. Did get 4oz off of plant through. Chinook got around 15' tall got 1 oz off in july figured it was all I was going to get but it really put on sidearms late and ended up with 6 oz. My centennial plant started off good but when we had the high winds in spring broke plant off around 4' feet. Couldn't get another sprout started and it was real close to my compost pile,not really sure if that had anything to do with it or not but it did nothing. I had at 1 time a cascade but the year the ice was so bad I lost it. I didn't mulch it enough. I plan on having my soil tested this year to add nutrients to see what happens. The vines really looked bad after the beetles attacked them.I hope this helps.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
jeri
Recipes 

I'm in Independence. Am also going to try planting some hops this year. My choices at the moment are Mt. Hood, Sunbeam Golden (a Saaz hybrid), Kent Golding, and Williamette, course that could change over the next few weeks before I order them. I've had gardens in Missouri for most of the last 29 years but have never planted hops.

Last year was an awful year for gardens, though my lettuce and basil did terrific in my new garden. Just bought the house in Feb. so was totally unfamiliar with my soil conditions etc.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #6
mykayel
Recipes 

I'm in the KC area also, and last year was my second year for hops and they would have done great, but I had to dig them up and put them in buckets in the middle of July to bring them to my new house. Suprisingly they all did very well in the transplant. Last year it wasn't needed in the time that they were in the ground, but the previous year I had a drip irrigation system set up to keep them watered and they did really well. Hops can definetly be grown in this area.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #7
jeri
Recipes 

I'm getting anxious for the weather to warm up to start working outside again. Am bottling my first batch of beer in over 10 years tomorrow. Am just getting back into brewing. Along with hops I'm planting fruit bushes in hopes of making wine again as well.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
parratt1
Recipes 

mykayel what varieties do you have planted?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:14 AM   #9
mykayel
Recipes 

Goldings, Mt. Hood, Sterling, Cascade, Hallertau... I also planted a Fuggels but it hasn't come back yet this year, all the others are going strong still planted in their 5 gallon buckets. I need to get going on my garden but I haven't had time yet.

Old 04-16-2010, 01:57 AM   #10
jiggs_casey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 73

I planted Willamette, Fuggles and Cascade today. One of each. More of an experiement at this point. If they start, I'll put together a trellis, if not, I'll try again next year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigeb View Post
It's my God-given right to be as stupid as I want to be. How dare the government get in the way.
Go Beer!