Wee Heavy Strong Scotch Ale - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Wee Heavy Strong Scotch Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
zrule's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Illinois
Posts: 206
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


fwh, pnw? Can someone help me?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #12
Bjornbrewer
 
Bjornbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Posts: 417
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


fwh = first wort hopping
pnw = ?


What catagory did they suggest? other than the FWH it seems fine to me as a Strong Scottish Ale.
__________________
Sand Viking Brewery

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 12:30 AM   #13
adamjab19
Recipes 
 
Apr 2008
Berkley, MI
Posts: 491
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornbrewer View Post
fwh = first wort hopping
pnw = ?


What catagory did they suggest? other than the FWH it seems fine to me as a Strong Scottish Ale.
pnw= pacific northwest
__________________
Element Brewing

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 03:22 AM   #14
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
zrule's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Illinois
Posts: 206
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #15
CarbonatedColon
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Moonstone, ON CANADA
Posts: 25

I brewed a similar Scotch Ale to this recipe, My OG was 1074 and it seems to have finished fermenting at 1030. I checked 3 days apart and no further drop. This puts th ABV just under 6% - Should I attempt anything to get this to ferment a little more or will it be fine as is .... I am OK with the ABV (would have liked closer to 7%) but 'm worried this might be sweeter than I had hoped.... any comments? (I used a Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale.)
__________________
Moonstone Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #16
zrule
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
zrule's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Illinois
Posts: 206
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I am from the MW (midwest)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #17
CarbonatedColon
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Moonstone, ON CANADA
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonatedColon View Post
I brewed a similar Scotch Ale to this recipe, My OG was 1074 and it seems to have finished fermenting at 1030. I checked 3 days apart and no further drop. This puts th ABV just under 6% - Should I attempt anything to get this to ferment a little more or will it be fine as is .... I am OK with the ABV (would have liked closer to 7%) but 'm worried this might be sweeter than I had hoped.... any comments? (I used a Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale.)
I guess i should add that it has been at 65F for 15 days ... it took about 2 days for it to start bubbling.
__________________
Moonstone Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 PM   #18
permo
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
North Dakota
Posts: 2,952
Liked 55 Times on 48 Posts


If it were me, I would first warm the fermenter up to about 74 degrees and then I would rock and swirl the fermenter to get the yeast back into suspension. At 1.030 IMO, this will be far to sweet. 1.020 I consider the minimum finishing gravity for most styles that I brew......

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #19
Bjornbrewer
 
Bjornbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2008
St. Clair Shores, MI, USA, Earth, Sol System, Milky Way
Posts: 417
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


is 1.030 a problem? If it tastes ok, bottle it a drink it. I wouldn't raise it to 74* as scottish ales should be cold fermented to keep them clean and malty.

You could (keep it cool) and throw some sugar in to up the ABV and lower the FG.
__________________
Sand Viking Brewery

“Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” ~George Burns

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #20
CarbonatedColon
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Moonstone, ON CANADA
Posts: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjornbrewer View Post
is 1.030 a problem? If it tastes ok, bottle it a drink it. I wouldn't raise it to 74* as scottish ales should be cold fermented to keep them clean and malty.

You could (keep it cool) and throw some sugar in to up the ABV and lower the FG.
I don't know if 1030 is a problem, that was my question .... will it be too sweet? I have already moved the fermenter to an area that is 74F - I hope it does not affect the malty-ness. If this fails, how much corn sugar is enough to get this thing chugging again? Also - any ideas on how may days to leave it at 74 before checking the gravity again? I hate pulling the lid off more than I need to.
__________________
Moonstone Brewery

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strong Scotch Ale pmoneyismyfriend General Techniques 1 05-10-2014 02:12 PM
Scotch Ale, very strong Chadwick Recipes/Ingredients 14 03-18-2014 02:33 AM
Strong Scotch Ale jeffencourt Homebrew Ale Recipes 2 10-10-2011 12:48 AM
Strong Scotch Ale jeffencourt Recipes/Ingredients 0 10-10-2011 12:46 AM
strong scotch ale uglygoat Recipes/Ingredients 2 07-09-2006 12:31 PM


Forum Jump