Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Brewtarget 1.2 - Free open source brewing software
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2010, 04:11 AM   #201
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rocketman768's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 1,086
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
Rocketman, is there a minimum screen size setting for the OS X version 1.2.1? I've got a "Hackintosh" netbook with a screen res of 1024x600, and I can't tell if there's anything below the ingredients box, and there's no "resize" box at the bottom right.

Thanks!
All the windows can be resized. The main window has to be at least a certain size, though I'm not sure exactly what the minimum size actually is since it depends from platform to platform and from window manager to window manager.

Quote:
Rocketman

THanks a bunch for the updates, they're great The notes feature is excellent, I can now use brewtarget for everything...

If I had one iota of programming knowledge I'd happily help. We really owe you one...
Cool!


rocketman768 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 AM   #202
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 584
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

when I save my work by clicking on a small diskette icon and close the program it asks me do I want to save again....

I don't want to be PITA but I think this is easy to fix


__________________
Brew me a river...
400d is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:53 PM   #203
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 32,790
Liked 4766 Times on 4655 Posts
Likes Given: 2831

Default

Couple questions about the mash tab. I am trying to set up for my equipment and having a couple problems:

1) In the equipment tab, what is the mass of the Mash Tun used for and how do I calculate it for my equipment?

2) In the mash tab, I try to change "batch sparge" to "fly sparge" by changing the name, temp target (slightly) and the time. When I hit the Mash wiz button I have an issue where batch sparge reappears and it sets my fly sparge to a smaller volume. It seems I'm not able to modify the default sparge setup... is that correct?

3) If I add a new step there doesn't seem to be a way to re-order the step. For example, if I add a protein rest to a previously saved single step mash schedule, it seems to add it at the end and I don't see a way to reorder it. This just means I have to go in and retype the steps in. Granted, I don't think most people redesign their mash schedule and setup every batch, but it just added a bit of confusion for me.
Randar is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #204
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 32,790
Liked 4766 Times on 4655 Posts
Likes Given: 2831

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichthy View Post
THanks a bunch for the updates, they're great The notes feature is excellent, I can now use brewtarget for everything...
Yep, if the next revision includes the refractometer tools and a few fixes I will be ditching Beersmith.
Randar is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:59 AM   #205
rocketman768
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
rocketman768's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Evanston, IL
Posts: 1,086
Liked 23 Times on 20 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400d View Post
when I save my work by clicking on a small diskette icon and close the program it asks me do I want to save again....

I don't want to be PITA but I think this is easy to fix
I agree.

Quote:
1) In the equipment tab, what is the mass of the Mash Tun used for and how do I calculate it for my equipment?
It's used in temperature calculations. The more mass and the higher the specific heat of your tun, the hotter the strike water has to be. To calculate it, put it on a bathroom scale or a wii balance board or whatever you have. It's ok to estimate it if nothing else.

Quote:
2) In the mash tab, I try to change "batch sparge" to "fly sparge" by changing the name, temp target (slightly) and the time. When I hit the Mash wiz button I have an issue where batch sparge reappears and it sets my fly sparge to a smaller volume. It seems I'm not able to modify the default sparge setup... is that correct?
Right now, batch sparging is sort of forced. I say "sort of" because no matter if you're doing a fly sparge or hybrid fly or whatever, the volumes are going to be the exact same as Brewtarget already calculates, as will the temps (I believe). The step name "batch sparge" just appears because if you dump in the sparge all at once, then I guarantee that you'll hit your sparge temp.

What's happening in your particular circumstance is that it thinks your fly sparge step is just another temperature infusion, so it adjusts the volume accordingly. For now, until I have a more elegant solution, just run the mash wiz and then rename "batch sparge" to "fly sparge" and leave it. Also, if you want the sparge to be a different temp, you can change that with the "Edit mash" button before you run the mash wiz.

Quote:
3) If I add a new step there doesn't seem to be a way to re-order the step. For example, if I add a protein rest to a previously saved single step mash schedule, it seems to add it at the end and I don't see a way to reorder it. This just means I have to go in and retype the steps in. Granted, I don't think most people redesign their mash schedule and setup every batch, but it just added a bit of confusion for me.
Ah, good point. Yet again, I just didn't think it would get used this way, but it does make sense to put a couple of up/down buttons so that you can reorder the steps.

Quote:
Yep, if the next revision includes the refractometer tools and a few fixes I will be ditching Beersmith.
Sweet. Feel free to elaborate. I can make it work however you want.
rocketman768 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:10 AM   #206
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 32,790
Liked 4766 Times on 4655 Posts
Likes Given: 2831

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
Right now, batch sparging is sort of forced. I say "sort of" because no matter if you're doing a fly sparge or hybrid fly or whatever, the volumes are going to be the exact same as Brewtarget already calculates, as will the temps (I believe). The step name "batch sparge" just appears because if you dump in the sparge all at once, then I guarantee that you'll hit your sparge temp.

What's happening in your particular circumstance is that it thinks your fly sparge step is just another temperature infusion, so it adjusts the volume accordingly. For now, until I have a more elegant solution, just run the mash wiz and then rename "batch sparge" to "fly sparge" and leave it. Also, if you want the sparge to be a different temp, you can change that with the "Edit mash" button before you run the mash wiz.
Yeah, I sort of figured it out, it just wasn't very intuitive at first for what I was trying to do. I think it is assumed that if you are fly sparging that you're responsible for keeping the temp of the sparge water stable as you go, so I think that aspect of it is a bit generic. But perhaps you can have a separate step for the sparge to configure your settings. The resetting of the sparge time each time I hit the mash wiz button is the most annoying part I think.



Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post
Ah, good point. Yet again, I just didn't think it would get used this way, but it does make sense to put a couple of up/down buttons so that you can reorder the steps.
Protein rest is also a decent candidate for a separate mash step "type" as people like to use a different qt/lb infusion in this step. If you can set the qt/lb of each step it would be a big help for multi-step mashes as well as potentially limiting the size of the grain bill included in the protein rest. I have seen some people do this when using a cooler setup so they can do a protein + beta and alpha rests within the limits of their setup. I know that requires tweaking the calculations a bit, but it would be quite useful to visualize the amount of water to add when you have 3 lbs of wheat at 122 degrees and then add 12 lbs of base malt and mash-in with more water to reach 140 or whatever... see what I mean? If I am the only one that would find that useful, then screw it, though and I can do the calcs offline.
Randar is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:19 AM   #207
400d
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 584
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

what do you think of adding some common calculators to the program that could be used separately from the recipes. I thought that it would be so great to have them all in one place, I wouldn't have to go online to search them.

I think ABV calculator and strike water calculator would be a great addition to brewtarget
__________________
Brew me a river...
400d is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #208
Ichthy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Jackson, TN
Posts: 494
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman768 View Post

Right now, batch sparging is sort of forced. I say "sort of" because no matter if you're doing a fly sparge or hybrid fly or whatever, the volumes are going to be the exact same as Brewtarget already calculates, as will the temps (I believe). The step name "batch sparge" just appears because if you dump in the sparge all at once, then I guarantee that you'll hit your sparge temp.
Is it possible to insert an option that allows you to calculate sparge temps for a double batch sparge? I use BMs hybrid sparge technique and obviously don't ever hit mashout temps on my first infusion b/c I don't put in the full volume of water that Brewtarget calculates. I've figured this out through trial and error that I need 190F+ water for a 2 gallon infusion to reach mashout. It's not a huge issue, but could be frustrating for new all grain brewers who don't heat their water enough and are using double infusion batch sparges.

Once again, thanks for all your work
Ichthy is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:29 PM   #209
Twofox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 191
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I've got a request. Hopefully it's not too much at this point.

It would be nice to show the Bitterness Ratio for the recipe. It's handy that it shows wether it's malty/hoppy/balanced, but I think this would give it a little more depth. Also maybe show BR (range?) for the style.

Also, I noticed that the same recipe in Beersmith shows a different IBU, ABV, etc. For instance, BS shows 31.3 IBU and BT shows 33.4 (something like that).
__________________
Beer! It's not just for breakfast anymore!

Tucson Homebrew Club
Twofox is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #210
Randar
Damn right I got da brews
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Randar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Wheeling, IL
Posts: 32,790
Liked 4766 Times on 4655 Posts
Likes Given: 2831

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twofox View Post
I've got a request. Hopefully it's not too much at this point.

It would be nice to show the Bitterness Ratio for the recipe. It's handy that it shows wether it's malty/hoppy/balanced, but I think this would give it a little more depth. Also maybe show BR (range?) for the style.

Also, I noticed that the same recipe in Beersmith shows a different IBU, ABV, etc. For instance, BS shows 31.3 IBU and BT shows 33.4 (something like that).
There are 2 IBU calculation approximations supported by BrewTarget. Tinseth's is default and you can go select Ranger's as well in the Options menu. I don't know which Beersmith uses but I bet you can find out via google or beersmith's website. And in the end, they are just approximations, so you are sort of using it as a basis of comparison for one recipe vs the next.


Randar is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brewtarget 1.1 - Free open source brewing software rocketman768 Brewing Software 223 10-26-2012 06:47 PM
Free (Open Source) Artwork etamme Label Display & Discussion 31 04-25-2010 02:46 PM
Video Brewtarget 1.0b (free, open source brewing software) rocketman768 General Beer Discussion 14 03-20-2009 07:08 PM
New free open source brewing software rocketman768 General Beer Discussion 23 01-20-2009 12:01 AM
Free Brewing software??? Schlenkerla General Beer Discussion 5 03-18-2007 06:57 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS