Brewing disaster - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Brewing disaster

Old 12-27-2009, 02:18 AM   #1
Dec 2009
Anderson, South Carolina
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am making my second beer as I type but I am pretty sure this one might be ruined. The first step was to steep the grains at ~170 for 30 mins. I put my "true brew" floating thermometer in the kettle and brought up the temp. the thermometer was floating normally and all was well for a while, but then I went to look at the temp and noticed the bottom of the thermometer has broken and all the "shot" in the bottom as well as some of the red wax had spilled into my wort. The mercury tube did not bust, just the exterior tube. I am not sure what to do so I am going ahead with the brew as normal and planning to run it through a fine mesh filter as i put it into the carboy in order to remove any "shot". As far as I can tell this is not lead shot, but I cannot identify.

What would you do?

Old 12-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #2
Dec 2008

I would dump it and invest in a digital thermometer.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:35 AM   #3
Aug 2009
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Brew your beer and ferment it as regular. The stuff will settle out in the bottom with the trub.
There has been lots of stuff like this:

Your beer should be fine
Primary1: Strawberry Blonde
Primary2: Kiwi Blonde
Sanke Primary: Oxyclean
Bottled: Imperial Stout
Kegged: Centenial Pale Ale, Peat Malt Porter, Rye Pale Ale, Maibock
Near Future: Red Ale, Kolsch

Old 12-27-2009, 02:40 AM   #4

Pieces of glass in your beer are nothing to mess with, in my opinion. If you missed the tiniest piece, if it somehow ended up in your bottle or keg, someone ends up in the emergency room. I'd toss it.

Sorry for this, it is very frustrating, I'm sure.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:41 AM   #5
big beers turn my gears
May 2008
Podunk, VA. Not far from the NC line.
Liked 32 Times on 14 Posts

RDWHAHB. It should be steel shot and will settle. You will waste a little wort when you rack. I'm more afraid of glass shards then steel shot so keep the racking cane a couple inches off the bottom. Glass is much lighter then shot and might rest within the trub. Don't suck up any trub and you will be fine.
Originally Posted by the_bird View Post
"I've got a fever... and the only prescription is, MORE CARBOYS!"
primary- Tangerine Dream, SWMBO slayer,
serving- amber ale hop experiment #6, Roggenbier, apfelwine
planning- Cru?
conditioning- 9/9/09 barleywine
Drink water?... Never, fish fornicate in it.--- W.C. Fields
Most problems can be solved with the proper application of force.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:02 AM   #6
Aug 2009
cincinnati, ohio
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

If I had a $1 for how many times I've read and heard this about glass thermometers. I've had one break as well. I put a fine mesh grain bag over racking cane and drank every bit of it.

But seriously go out and pick up either one of those turkey thermometers or a digital one. I have both and use them both. I picked up my digital one for $15 at walmart it has a dishwasher safe probe and it coated with ruber either black or red. I've not only accidently submerged the probe I had the entire thing fall into boiling kettle. Still works.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:11 AM   #7
Oct 2008
Philly, PA
Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Plus one on using a paint strainer bag as a sieve and soldiering on. No glass will make it through the bag. They don't use lead in food thermometers. Not in many lab thermos either. Much much more likely it is steel.
On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
Nov 2009
Pasadena, CA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dontman View Post
Plus one on using a paint strainer bag as a sieve and soldiering on. No glass will make it through the bag. They don't use lead in food thermometers. Not in many lab thermos either. Much much more likely it is steel.

Don't toss the brew, a paint strainer and a primary fermentation will ensure that no particles are left in your brew. Let's us know how it turns out.