Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Preparing for my first brew,a few questions.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Addicted
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Preparing for my first brew,a few questions.

I'm running through things in my head and trying to get things set for when my stuff arrives.Tonight i put an aluminum turkey fry pot on my stove with 6 gallons of water in it,it came to a boil in an hour.Not a super vigorous boil,but a boil.And the pot discolored a bit on the inside.

So i plan to do a full boil with 6 gallons,it went down to just over 5 gallons after an hour.Does that sound good?.And now i need a wort chiller too,i will just make that.

The questions i have are

#1,will the discoloration from the aluminum pot affect anything?

#2,Should i just follow the directions that come with the Midwest ingredient kit or do i change anything for a full boil?

Old 12-25-2009, 11:36 PM   #2
whatisitgoodfor
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The discoloration is just oxidation, it won't hurt your beer, and overall is a positive.

The only change you will need to make for a full boil is to account for your boil off, which you're already doing.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 40

It sounds like you are ready. Although it has been some time since I brewed a kit, and never one from Midwest, you may find some standard brew details on their site.

Follow their directions. If you have something specific then post it here and someone will stop in and help that knows that kit.

What kit are you brewing?

Old 12-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Addicted
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great,Thanks guys!I Can't wait to get started!

I'm brewing this kit.

http://new.midwestsupplies.com/honey-porter.html