Oxiclean and Star San - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Oxiclean and Star San

Old 12-24-2009, 06:30 PM   #1
Killinger

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Ballwin, MO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've been using Oxiclean for my general cleaning and StarSan for sanitizing for a while. I was recently browsing the Oxiclean website and noticed the ph is 11. Star San, of course, is an acid (ph ~3).

With those stats in the back of my mind, I went to work cleaning and sanitizing some equipment. As I was running the Star San out of the carboy, I remembered that there had been some residual Oxiclean in the bottom when I dumped the sanitizer on top. I wondered if the ph of the Star San had been knocked out of the effective zone by the additional base in solution. So I tested the ph coming out of the carboy: 4.

Star San must be 3 or lower to be effective, right?

So, I ran a dilution "experiment". I took my premixed Oxiclean solution (don't know the ph or the ratio of powder to water, but I'd guess it was 1 scoop to 5 gallons) and premixed Star San (ph ~2.9) and added 1/2 ounce Oxiclean to 8 oz Star San. My ph sticks only go up to 4.4, but it was off that chart.

I continued diluting until it got into the measurable ph zone of my sticks. At a ratio of 1:32, the ph was 3.6. At 1:40, the ph was about 3.

So, at a ratio of 1:32, the solution would be outside the range of effectiveness of the sanitizer. This equates to 1/2 cup Oxiclean per gallon of Star San.

I've never had an infection, but I think I will rinse better between cleaning and sanitizing in the future.

Am I over thinking this? Not thinking at all?

"I'm Dr. Henry Killinger, and this is my magic murder bag."

Old 12-24-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
Willy Boner
Recipes 

May 2007
Drain OR
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I would rinse all the Oxyclean away but Starsan is great stuff.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Dec 2007
WI
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Or, clean well ahead of brew day so the equipment is dry prior to sanitizing with San Star.

I am spending the time around Christmas cleaning and sanitizing my brewery equipment and glassware. It is a preventative measure if you will.

Anyway, this post is very timely for me as I have most things soaking in Oxyclean as I write. San Star is my go to sanitizer, so I thought I would do a switch for this project and use an acid base sanitizer I used early in the hobby.

Then, on brew next, I will return to San Star.

Thanks for pointing this out.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #4
wildwest450
Recipes 

Dec 2007
Liked 173 Times on 158 Posts

You obviously need more hobbies, you have to much time on your hands.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:55 PM   #5
Gammon N Beer
Recipes 

Dec 2007
WI
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwest450 View Post
You obviously need more hobbies, you have to much time on your hands.
LOL
Yup...retirement is wonderful. I could be oiling my bicycle chain. I rode 3,400 miles January to September. Then pretty much stopped when my wife and I bought a 2,200 sqft. farmhouse that needs some work. (Including a dedicated standalone brewery)

Old 12-24-2009, 11:25 PM   #6
sea2summit3
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Reno, NV

Rinse and rinse well. Sanitize and ferment. Easy as that! You're probably right that oxyclean neutralizes starsan, but not if you rinse well. Also, I only use 1/4 scoop oxyclean per 5 gal and have never had a problem. I would only go with full scoop if I had just bought some really dirty, caked equipment from craigslist. Maybe you're making rinsing more difficult by using too much oxyclean?

Primary:-
Secondary:IPA, just "IPA"
Bottled: Applewood Smoked Porter, Windy Bridge Stout, Maple Chocolate Pumpkin Ale, Maple Pumpkin Ale, California Steam, Black Cat Porter, Irish Coffee Stout
Kegged: Blackberry Stout, Nut Brown, Sweet Cider, Apfelwein #2, IPA, SNCA Clone

Old 12-25-2009, 12:12 AM   #7
planenut
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2008
Hanahan, SC (North Charleston)
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't see how oxiclean effects the ph of the StarSan if it is rinsed well.

I have always used oxiclean and rinsed well, then sanitized with starsan.

Old 12-25-2009, 01:55 AM   #8
Killinger

Recipes 

Jul 2007
Ballwin, MO
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yeah, I'm not stressing out over this, and I'm not suggesting anyone else should. I had never thought about it, I'd never seen a PSA on here about it, and I just thought it was noteworthy. If you don't rinse your Oxiclean, your StarSan might not be as effective as otherwise.

Carry on.

"I'm Dr. Henry Killinger, and this is my magic murder bag."

Old 12-27-2009, 02:08 AM   #9
thebigo
Recipes 

Apr 2009
Denver, CO

I also noticed my starsan got cloudy after cleaning with oxiclean. SO...I switched to a less expensive vinegar solution and am saving starsan for bottling day.

I'm still having trouble with streaks on my bottles after a PBW clean though (streaks wipe off on outside but can't wipe inside)

Old 06-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
drewskies_brewskies
Recipes 

Jan 2012
NY, NY

I also use Oxiclean and Star San to clean and sanitize my equipment. This past weekend I washed my kegs as normal, but forgot to rinse the oxiclean before sanitizing with star san. This oversight has just dawned on me. Am I freaking out over nothing or will the batch I kegged taste all funky? Has anyone else done this? If so, what were your results?
Thanks!