dry hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenspider

Reaction score
Hey guys.

My beer is brewed (t-giving) and kegged and I'm force carbonating it.
But it states a little 'watery'.
Is there anything I can do to increase the taste a bit now?
I heard about dry hopping but would like some direction.

Dry hopping is really simple, when you transfer your beer from its first fermentation into a new carboy for second fermentation simply add roughly 1/2 to 1 oz of hops. You will need a mesh bag and a few sterile marbles for the process. Just dry the hops in the sterile bag with a few marbles into your batch and cap it with your airlock like normal for an additional 4 to 7 days. The important thing to remember is to do this during the second fermentation and not the first as that can cause contamination and interfere with the initial fermentation process. You can also add hops in the same way straight to your keg if your already at the kegging stage, a lot of people will leave the hops in the keg the entire time they drink their brew, its totally up to you and how much hops and aroma you want.

Thanks.
I assume this will help with the watery taste?

I have it corny kegged under forced carb right now so I'll prolly just put the tettnanger into the keg and let it stay. From what I've read many find this just fine.

NO.....

Dry hopping is great, but "watery" comes from too little fermentables.

I suggest the same recipe next time, but with a gallon or two less of water.

Give it time, sometimes that watery taste will disappear over time and mellow into the beer along with all of the other flavors.

I sampled the beer again last night.
I hadn't tasted it in about a week. It is indeed mellowing into a pleasantly rounded beer.
I think I will go ahead and dry hop 1 keg of it and leave the other as it is, just to experiment.
I'm pretty happy with what I tasted last night and it is sinking in that this hobby takes time.
I guess I thought things happened faster than they do.
I am learning patience.
Thanks guys.

I sampled the beer again last night.
I hadn't tasted it in about a week. It is indeed mellowing into a pleasantly rounded beer.
I think I will go ahead and dry hop 1 keg of it and leave the other as it is, just to experiment.
I'm pretty happy with what I tasted last night and it is sinking in that this hobby takes time.
I guess I thought things happened faster than they do.
I am learning patience.
Thanks guys.

I had to learn this recently as well with the pumpkin that I brewed. A few weeks in the bottle and I noticed it had a watery taste to the back end of it but it was still really good. Now, I'm down to the very last one and it's the SWMBO's but the watery taste is gone and it's an even better beer.

Dry hopping is really simple, when you transfer your beer from its first fermentation into a new carboy for second fermentation simply add roughly 1/2 to 1 oz of hops. You will need a mesh bag and a few sterile marbles for the process. Just dry the hops in the sterile bag with a few marbles into your batch and cap it with your airlock like normal for an additional 4 to 7 days. The important thing to remember is to do this during the second fermentation and not the first as that can cause contamination and interfere with the initial fermentation process. You can also add hops in the same way straight to your keg if your already at the kegging stage, a lot of people will leave the hops in the keg the entire time they drink their brew, its totally up to you and how much hops and aroma you want.

I like the marble idea! One thing, every piece of credible breweing literature I have seen is clear that hops are not an issue in regards to contamination. I have heard the issue with dry hopping in your primary is not infection risk, but loss of aroma as it can be carried away with the CO2. Not trying to be contrarian, but trying to add to your already great advice! :mug:

Back