Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > Electric Question
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 02:11 AM   #11
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeRage View Post
Well you could drop the 5500W to 4500W and you'll be right at 50. Not what I would recommend though.

You could configure the 5500W elements so that they can run on 110 or 240v. So if you just need one to maintain heat while the other one needs to be full tilt then that may work. a 5500W element on 110 will only use 1375W, dropping your load consumption.

Doing the math, 2 5500W elements is going to put you at 46Amps which is a little close for comfort for a 50 Amp load. put a 60 Amp breaker in there and add the 1500W 120v element puts you at 58 amps, way too close if you ask me, you'll be dealing with nuisance trips eventually.

I think you really need to do another power survey and see where you can cut back some.
If you don't mind, please take a look at the attached file. This is a work in process so I still have more work do do on it, but thought you might see something in the early stages that will keep me on the right track.

I've had a heck of a time finding a tool that I can use and then manage to post it on HBT. Attached is a zip file containing a pdf of a visio... wow, I need to figure out a better way.

Some notes about what I have so far...

1) This is just the power side.. I'm still debating control (PIDs, Brewtroller, or BCS460).
2) The selector switches should be 3 position, I just couldn't find a symbol.
3.) I'm thinking I should replace the switches with relays, but I don't know parts, sources, etc.
4.) I bought a 50amp GFCI to put in the panel and plan to have a receptacle fairly close. The rig will need to be portable, so I'm thinking I need 10-20' of cord on the rig.

This is open for suggestions, input, comments. I'm also hoping to get some input on sourcing.

Thanks,
Ed


File Type: zip Visio-panel v1.0.zip (17.8 KB, 194 views)
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:46 AM   #12
tipicreeper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 192
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Hi Ed,
You did just fine drawing your schematic.
I may have missed it some where along the line but, how much are we brewing here?
I would think 5500 watts in a 5-10 gal HLT is a little much; unless of course, it needs to be heated in a few minutes.


tipicreeper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:55 AM   #13
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipicreeper View Post
Hi Ed,
You did just fine drawing your schematic.
I may have missed it some where along the line but, how much are we brewing here?
I would think 5500 watts in a 5-10 gal HLT is a little much; unless of course, it needs to be heated in a few minutes.

10 gallon batches...
5500 watts should heat 10 gallons from 70 to 170 in 28 minutes...

Ed
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:00 AM   #14
GreenMonti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,014
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Hi Ed,

Gonna play the devil for just a sec.

Where is the 70 degree water coming from? My tap water is much more cool.
GreenMonti is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:04 AM   #15
tipicreeper
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Arizona
Posts: 192
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Maybe you can save alittle by wattage by seperating the strike water volume from the sparge water volume. Just a thought.
tipicreeper is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:06 AM   #16
tpgsr
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 59
Default

Ed. I am building mostly the same setup. I have 2 2pole 30A gfci breakers to power the two primary 5500W elements. I also have a 1 pole 20A for the controls and the rims element. Both the rims and control are fused in the panel. I will have 3 wires to plug in on brewday (if I do not hard wire it) but to be able to run all pumps and heaters at the same time should allow us to do multiple batches quickly and consecutively.

If you need pricing on electric parts to comparison shop, let me know and I can set you up with a BOM
tpgsr is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #17
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonti View Post
Hi Ed,

Gonna play the devil for just a sec.

Where is the 70 degree water coming from? My tap water is much more cool.
lol... Mine is too... just pointing out it takes about 30 minutes to raise 10 gallon temp 100f.

Ed
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:15 AM   #18
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpgsr View Post
Ed. I am building mostly the same setup. I have 2 2pole 30A gfci breakers to power the two primary 5500W elements. I also have a 1 pole 20A for the controls and the rims element. Both the rims and control are fused in the panel. I will have 3 wires to plug in on brewday (if I do not hard wire it) but to be able to run all pumps and heaters at the same time should allow us to do multiple batches quickly and consecutively.

If you need pricing on electric parts to comparison shop, let me know and I can set you up with a BOM
I would appreciate anything you can share...

I have some items but very little is set in stone at this point.

Ed
Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:19 AM   #19
GreenMonti
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,014
Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio-Ed View Post
lol... Mine is too... just pointing out it takes about 30 minutes to raise 10 gallon temp 100f.

Ed

So, is that linear?

What I mean is, will it still raise 100 degrees in about 30 mins if the starting temp is 50 degree? It would seem the vessel (keg) would suck more heat out and cause longer heating times.

I am only asking cause I am a weldor. I know nothing of this. My TIG torch heats things up REAL fast.
GreenMonti is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #20
Ohio-Ed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Ohio-Ed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,072
Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipicreeper View Post
Maybe you can save alittle by wattage by seperating the strike water volume from the sparge water volume. Just a thought.
My HLT and BK are basically identical. I know I probably don't need a 5500 watt ULD element in the HLT, but this way I can use either vessel for either function.

Also, the next sort of logical step down would be a 30a supply and that wouldn't get it in a single cord.

Ed


Ohio-Ed is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another electric kettle question mikeal Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks 4 12-12-2009 03:10 PM
Another Electric Question BradN Brew Stands 5 05-07-2009 01:45 AM
Another Electric HLT Question... Beer_Maker Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks 4 03-22-2009 05:59 PM
another electric HLT question kcinpdx Equipment/Sanitation 3 01-29-2009 09:07 PM
electric brewing question stevehaun Equipment/Sanitation 4 12-27-2008 09:54 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS