BBQ Build - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > BBQ Build

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2009, 05:34 AM   #1
LazyPBar
 
LazyPBar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Nevada
Posts: 140
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts



hey guys i figured i would post this. its a project i started back before the 4th of july and just finished it in november. i dont think that quite qualifies as procrastination... ok maybe a little bit. since i salvaged pretty much all of the metal this entire project (though not 100% completed) has only cost me the amount of a bucket of paint, a few seal beam lights, and two sheets of expanded metal.



i started off with the bbq. it was to be a free standing grill possibly with wheels to roll around the yard. the body was a water tank salvaged from an ancient cement truck. it was too perfect not to use. it already had a 6 inch vent out the top with a removable lid and brackets that bolted right to the angle iron frame i built. used the plasma to cut out the lid and welded stanley door hinges to the back of it. built the grill out of rounded angle iron and expanded metal. the rod is 3/4in black gas pipe welded to a ratchet reel for strapping down loads on trailers and semi's. the ratchet reel then is welded to the crank handle, thus enabling the grill to be raised and lowered. i will take some more photos to illustrate what i am describing, as my ability for comprehensible directions leaves something to be desired!

finally when the beast had to be moved for painting we realized that a mere stand with casters was not going to cut it. so we toyed around with the idea of building a trailer for it out of an old 4-wheeler frame. but i always say go big or go home. so we searched through our junk pile and came upon very large trailer hitches for mobile homes. heavy duty suckers with 10 in I-beam frames. so we started chopping them up and built the frame to the new bbq trailer. we also found the axles that went with the massive hitches. the square frame of the trailer ended up being approx. 6ft x 10ft with a 4ft tongue.









finally finished the wiring, and surprisingly all the lights work! still need to find some fenders and throw on some reflective tape before i can get her licensed, but as its winter now and not much barbecuing going on, it can probably wait.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
bad67z
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
bad67z's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,878
Liked 110 Times on 77 Posts


Wow, nice work! I didn't realize the scale of this until the trailer photo.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Brewmoor
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Brewmoor's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Colorado
Posts: 929
Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts


That's got to be one heavy trailer. That is alot of steel. Looks like you even have room up front on the trailer to mount a brewing rig.
__________________
"What the mind can conceive and believe, the mind can achieve."

My build thread. Compact Single Tier!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:42 PM   #4
tulsashag
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
tulsa, ok
Posts: 21

Is that thing gonna be a big grill or smoker? just curious where the firebox is for indirect heating...

Barbecue has numerous regional variations in many parts of the world. Notably, in the Southern United States, practitioners consider barbecue to include only indirect methods of cooking over hardwood smoke, with the more direct methods to be called "grilling".

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:03 PM   #5
cheezydemon3
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
louisville
Posts: 12,961
Liked 1671 Times on 1251 Posts


This may be in the top 10 coolest things ever....




I would HAVE to add a side box for cold smoking (or indirect) though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #6
LazyPBar
 
LazyPBar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Nevada
Posts: 140
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


yea it is just a grill, i must admit though it does have the 'smoker' look. i wanted one big enough that i could cook with wood. namely oak, we do a lot of lamb and i have yet to find a better way to cook it than grilled over black oak with my grandpa's 100 year old red wine sauce. I am thinking of adding a firebox so that i could smoke with it. i will get some closer pics of the grill and the inside.

as to the weight the trailer, it isnt quite as heavy as it looks. without the axle two of us were able to lift one end up and stand it on its side. it does look beefy though. definitely enough room for a couple of kegs or camping equipment (or both ), whatever the venue happens to be.
__________________

Montivagus Brewing Co.

Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
MMTG
 
MMTG's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Southern CA
Posts: 684
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


Prost!That is one tailgating machine! Still has plenty of room for a satelite dish/LCD and portable keezer. Awesome

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #8
Sawdustguy
 
Sawdustguy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Manorville, New York
Posts: 2,708
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyPBar View Post
hey guys i figured i would post this. its a project i started back before the 4th of july and just finished it in november. i dont think that quite qualifies as procrastination... ok maybe a little bit. since i salvaged pretty much all of the metal this entire project (though not 100% completed) has only cost me the amount of a bucket of paint, a few seal beam lights, and two sheets of expanded metal.
Are you building this pit to compete? I have a competition BBQ Team here in the northeast. We have won Reserve Grand Champion at a number of events but a Grand Championship has eluded us. Maybe we will get lucky this season. We cook with a Lang 84 Deluxe Stick Burner and a couple of Big Green Eggs.

__________________
Guy

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
Dr Vorlauf
 
Dr Vorlauf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2007
Lehigh Valley,PA
Posts: 534
Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyPBar View Post
yea it is just a grill, i must admit though it does have the 'smoker' look. i wanted one big enough that i could cook with wood. namely oak, we do a lot of lamb and i have yet to find a better way to cook it than grilled over black oak with my grandpa's 100 year old red wine sauce. I am thinking of adding a firebox so that i could smoke with it. i will get some closer pics of the grill and the inside.

as to the weight the trailer, it isnt quite as heavy as it looks. without the axle two of us were able to lift one end up and stand it on its side. it does look beefy though. definitely enough room for a couple of kegs or camping equipment (or both ), whatever the venue happens to be.
Very cool ! Can you give the recipe for the red wine sauce?
__________________
Veritas vos Liberabit

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefmike View Post
Dr. Vorlauf.... you are a scary, scary man. Kimchee?!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:42 PM   #10
LazyPBar
 
LazyPBar's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Nevada
Posts: 140
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Vorlauf View Post
Very cool ! Can you give the recipe for the red wine sauce?
sorry its kind of a closely guarded secret, most of my cousins don't even know it. but if you are interested in trying it and up for a road trip, come to the potter valley rodeo in california on may 30, 2010. my grandpa always bbq's for the rodeo, i usually make it every year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Are you building this pit to compete? I have a competition BBQ Team here in the northeast. We have won Reserve Grand Champion at a number of events but a Grand Championship has eluded us. Maybe we will get lucky this season. We cook with a Lang 84 Deluxe Stick Burner and a couple of Big Green Eggs.

thats awesome congratulations! no i dont compete, i would like to, but the closest competition to me, that i know of, is the Reno Rib Cookoff, and you have to own your own BBQ restaurant and be invited in order to compete. i have heard a lot of different people use the big green eggs but i have never seen one in action, how do you like em?
__________________

Montivagus Brewing Co.

Est. 2009

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Bar Build brrman Equipment/Sanitation 77 08-22-2011 02:01 PM
Just another bar build D-Boss Kegerators & Keezers 19 05-23-2010 07:41 AM
Brew Stand - Build yourself or get someone else to build? Stevorino Equipment/Sanitation 36 12-23-2009 05:53 PM
Keg Build Help fretman124 Equipment/Sanitation 4 11-29-2007 01:28 PM


Forum Jump