Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cooking & Pairing > Need Sausage Gravy Recipe

Old 12-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #61
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3031 Times on 2979 Posts
Likes Given: 28

You make the biscuits too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I was wrong

Old 12-29-2009, 08:41 PM   #62
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Christmas with the kids and grandkids was on Sunday. We did breakfast burritos for about 25; large four tortillas, 4 pounds of bacon, 3 pounds of sausage, scrambled eggs, fried hash brown potatoes, salsa, rooster sauce, sour cream, and about a half-gallon of SAUSAGE GRAVY.

By special request we also did the sticky rice (sweet rice) and thai eggs deal; cook bacon strips, use the drippings for cooking a chitload of scrambled eggs with a LOT of thin sliced sweet onions, heavy on the black pepper.

Chipped Beef I haven't seen since before microwaves. There was 'Boil 'N A Bags', that you dropped in boiling water for a few minutes from out of the freezer, in those days. The Chipped Beef never survived the microwave transition...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 12-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #63
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I admit that while I make my gravy from scratch, I'm usually lazy about the biscuits and and get them from the pop-open can from the store.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:44 PM   #64
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly View Post
Christmas with the kids and grandkids was on Sunday. We did breakfast burritos for about 25; large four tortillas, 4 pounds of bacon, 3 pounds of sausage, scrambled eggs, fried hash brown potatoes, salsa, rooster sauce, sour cream, and about a half-gallon of SAUSAGE GRAVY.
What the hell is rooster sauce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
I admit that while I make my gravy from scratch, I'm usually lazy about the biscuits and and get them from the pop-open can from the store.
Nothing wrong with that. Biscuits are a pain in the ass. I think the frozen are better than canned though.
Quote:
I was wrong

Old 12-29-2009, 08:49 PM   #65
HenryHill
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
What the hell is rooster sauce?

Nothing wrong with that. Biscuits are a pain in the ass. I think the frozen are better than canned though.
Rooster Sauce:
http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm

I am lazy and just use Gordons Food Service canned gravy, now, and add a bunch more sausage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
This is HBT of course. Normal Thread that goes every direction but the one intended. This forum should be scientific proof the beer causes ADD

Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 PM   #66
dataz722
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

ahhhhh siricha sauce. I love that stuff.
Quote:
I was wrong

Old 12-30-2009, 02:41 AM   #67
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataz722 View Post
We just tried those. Only thing is... I thought they were only refrigerated like the ones in the cans. So, instead of nice round biscuits, we had fist-full-of-dough drop biscuits. They were pretty good that way actually! Just pulled big globs and plopped them on the pan. I hadn't had drop biscuits in a long time.

Old 12-30-2009, 03:37 AM   #68
bubbachunk
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the help again guys and gals. The gravy came out great and my sister was very happy to have it again after years. Not to mention I am now fairly confident in roux making and no sauce scares me.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #69
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just made up more biscuits and gravy this morning. Biscuits took less time to make than the gravy. Here is the recipe I used and they came out nice and fluffy and not dense, but filling. Two biscuit max sort of thing.

2 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk, cold (I just used milk this morning but it doesn't have acid to react with the baking soda, which makes a little more "dense" biscuit)

Preheat oven to 475* with baking rack in the middle of the oven.

Mix all of the dry ingredients together, melt butter and place in a seperate bowl with the buttermilk and stir until the butter starts to clump. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just together and no more dry remains. Place onto a lined baking sheet using a super heaping tablespoon about 2" apart and bake at 475* for 12-13 minutes until brown on top. Cool on a rack and serve. This makes about 8-10 biscuits.

They taste like butter and are great. If I don't have the ingredients for this then bisquick and milk becomes my biscuits.

Gravy couldn't be easier if you already have milk, flour and sausage. The powdered mix has so many crazy things in them to help preserve them and give shelf life that I like to know that my gravy has only six things in it. Black pepper, red pepper, flour, sausage, milk and salt. Seventh is butter cause it tastes good!