Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Food and Beverage > Cheese Making Forum > Let's talk whey

Old 12-24-2009, 02:21 AM   #11
homebrewer_99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmith179 View Post
I will sometimes make ricotta cheese with the leftover whey from my cheese. It's really easy to do, but it does take about a day or so. Simply save the leftover whey and throw it in a pot overnight. You can leave the whey out at room temperature. Then, bring the whey almost to a boil. It'll get really foamy as it is ready to come off the heat. Once you get to about 180F, take it off the stove and allow it to cool back down to room temp. Then, simply strain the curds of out of the whey and allow the curds to drain. You've just made ricotta cheese!
Man, I wish I had read this last week.

I poured the whey out after 2 hours since nothing was happening...

I recently read another ricotta recipe that said ricotta is made using 1 gal of whole milk and either 1 qt or 1/2 gal buttermilk then adding 1/4 C vinegar, letting it curd then drain for a couple (3-4) of hours before rinsing.

Your post doesn't mention buttermilk. Do you use it or not?

Old 12-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
ByCandleLightWinery
Recipes 

There is a guy in Astoria, Oregon who makes cranberry whey wine. I have no idea how he does it.

Also, the Norwegians make a cheese out of whey that is called gjetost. It is usually in any cheese making cook book. Basically, you spend 14 hours caramelizing it, and it is ready to eat. Here in the States, Ski Queen sells it as a little 2x2x2 cube in a red wrapper. http://www.norwegiancheeses.co.uk/ski_queen.htm

Old 12-28-2009, 05:02 AM   #13
khiddy
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Man, I've had gjetost, it's a unique cheese, that's for sure! The color is absolutely amazing - kinda like a cube of melted yellow and brown crayons. Now while that may not sound appetizing, the cheese itself is quite delicious. Thanks for the information on it being made from whey! I hope the recipe is in the "200 Easy Homemade Cheese Recipes" book by Debra Amrein-Boyes, which is currently speeding towards my house from Amazon.com.
Bottled: Ye Olde Tyme Holiday Ale (9/26/10); Dick Beer (2/15/12); Candy's Dad's Homebrew (2/27/12)
Apfelweins: Crapfelwein (4/4/12); Apfelweinlager 34/70 (2/26/12)
Kit Wines: Fisher-Price My First Amarone (4/1/12); Rosso Magnifico (4/17/12)
On Deck: Albertus Magnus DIPA

Old 04-20-2010, 03:59 PM   #14
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

bit of a late response, but i use whey for just about everything. when i have it, that is. I made a killer spaghetti sauce, really good bread, works great as a soup stock, cooked pasta with it. it all turned out fantastic. basically, anywhere you would use water or chicken stock, whey fits right in.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 PM   #15
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
There is a guy in Astoria, Oregon who makes cranberry whey wine. I have no idea how he does it.
Follow up on this: if you goggle "whey wine", the first hit is a PDF of research by OSU in 1977 to turn whey into wine. There was an energy crisis at the time (wow, have times changed), and dehydrating whey into powder wasn't very economical...

The second hit is to the cranberry whey wine I was talking about (shows up as chocolate wine).

Between the two, I actually started a batch two weeks ago. I didn't really do a good job because I kind of expected a failure on my hands, so I didn't add sugar or anything beyond cranberry juice, sulfites, and yeast. The buttermilk/rennet whey started bubbling in days, but the citric acid whey took a little longer. Kind of surprised me when they did. Both are half gallon batches. I have no idea if it has spoiled yet or not.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #16
lrnardi
Recipes 

Whey is so great to use in lacto fermented veggies (think sauerkraut) and is great to soak grains in before cooking! There is a drink called beet kvass that is amazing. Whey is added to that. So many options! Hope that helps. I almost cringed to think of all that whey tossed! =)

Old 07-09-2010, 02:56 AM   #17
mnblonde
Recipes 

whey is great as animal "water"-chickens, cats, dogs-soak grain in it for others ie goats cows pigs!-also great in place of water in bread-or you can add a Kool-Aid pack to it-chill it and drink it!!! Yummy! also good as a plant fertilizer!! i have not had any luck making ricotta from it so far- but only tried once! Good Luck!!!

MNBlonde

Old 07-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #18
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I have used my whey in bread making and for animal feed and for making ricotta cheese.
But my ricotta is different than the one described here.
take leftover whey, add about 2 or 3 cups whole milk and then bring to boil and add citric acid or lemon juice or even vinegar in a pinch and let it sit till curds form and then drain thru tea towel lined strainer. The family loved it compared to the one from the store which they hated. It was great in the lasagna! And even better in the spinach/ricotta stuffed shells.

Old 07-09-2010, 01:06 PM   #19
FromZwolle
Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald View Post
I have used my whey in bread making and for animal feed and for making ricotta cheese.
But my ricotta is different than the one described here.
take leftover whey, add about 2 or 3 cups whole milk and then bring to boil and add citric acid or lemon juice or even vinegar in a pinch and let it sit till curds form and then drain thru tea towel lined strainer. The family loved it compared to the one from the store which they hated. It was great in the lasagna! And even better in the spinach/ricotta stuffed shells.
i usually do this with my whey. turns out pretty good, but doesn't have too long of a shelf life, with all the natural bugs killed off.

Old 07-12-2010, 02:01 PM   #20
Emerald
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromZwolle View Post
i usually do this with my whey. turns out pretty good, but doesn't have too long of a shelf life, with all the natural bugs killed off.
LOL I don't think any of my fresh cheese ever last long enuf to get bad! I only make ricotta if I am gonna make ravioli or lasagna.
And for those recipes that encourage folks to use whey in their sauerkraut recipes and for lacto-bac. fermenting of pickles- don't do it they are so gross and nasty and slimy- most good lacto fermenting recipes do not call for whey and they pickle with a nice crisp clean taste.
And a good sauerkraut should only have good salt and cabbage and maybe some caraway seeds. Of course I only store my lacto fermented veggies and sauerkraut in the fridge as cooking it to can it for long storage kills the good bugs too.