How Much Sulfur?? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > How Much Sulfur??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Arau
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
sweden
Posts: 39
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



I'm making my first batch of mead (1 gallon just to test) and i couldn't get any campden tablets. instead i got "wine sulfur" which i'm guessing is powdered sulfur, i have no idea. anyway, i was wondering how much to use when i'm getting ready to bottle it to prevent re-fermentation.

Any help would be much appreciated

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
bredler
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arau View Post
I'm making my first batch of mead (1 gallon just to test) and i couldn't get any campden tablets. instead i got "wine sulfur" which i'm guessing is powdered sulfur, i have no idea. anyway, i was wondering how much to use when i'm getting ready to bottle it to prevent re-fermentation.

Any help would be much appreciated
I doubt it's powdered sulfur. If that's what it is, it would be bright yellow and stink...bad. We used to use it in organic chemistry lab.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sulfur_powder.jpg

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #3
Arau
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
sweden
Posts: 39
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


yeah i figured that, but any idea how much to use?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #4
bredler
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Posts: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arau View Post
yeah i figured that, but any idea how much to use?
Nope I know chemistry, not mead...sorry.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 PM   #5
Rushis
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Pasadena, CA
Posts: 289
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I bet the wine guru's can chime in more accurately. But a quick off the cuff estimate:

1 Campden tablet treats 1 gal of must. So 5 campden tbas per 5 gal batch.

From the wiki, 10 campden tabs is equivalent to 1 level teaspoon of sodium metabisulphite. Without knowing exactly what your "wine sulfur" is, we can't make an exact calculation. But as a crude ballpark figure, 1/2 teaspoon of sodium metasulphite (which is likely what you have the "wine sulfur" package or at least something very similar) should get you close the effective concentration range to inhibit wild yeast.

If you can find out what exactly "wine sulfur" is, we can get the formula weight and calculate exactly how much you need to reach the roughly 50 ppm of sulfur dioxide recommended for wine.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
malkore
 
malkore's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Nebraska
Posts: 6,922
Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts


campden is tabletized potassium or sodium metabisulfate.

'wine sulfer' is probably powdered potassium metabisulfate. but, I think these can come in different concentrations.
__________________
Malkore
Primary: English Mild
On tap: Pale Ale, Lancelot's Wheat, English Brown Ale, Steam Beer, HoovNuts IPA
Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
Arau
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
sweden
Posts: 39
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushis View Post
I bet the wine guru's can chime in more accurately. But a quick off the cuff estimate:

1 Campden tablet treats 1 gal of must. So 5 campden tbas per 5 gal batch.

From the wiki, 10 campden tabs is equivalent to 1 level teaspoon of sodium metabisulphite. Without knowing exactly what your "wine sulfur" is, we can't make an exact calculation. But as a crude ballpark figure, 1/2 teaspoon of sodium metasulphite (which is likely what you have the "wine sulfur" package or at least something very similar) should get you close the effective concentration range to inhibit wild yeast.

If you can find out what exactly "wine sulfur" is, we can get the formula weight and calculate exactly how much you need to reach the roughly 50 ppm of sulfur dioxide recommended for wine.
yeah i've been working on that for a day or two now, trying to find out what this "wine sulfur" actually is. but since i already started the must, using it it prevent wild yeast isn't a concern of mine right now. i was wondering whether i use it before bottling to prevent re-fermentation. like put it in. let it sit for a couple days then bottle it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:36 PM   #8
hightest
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Bridgeton, NJ
Posts: 434
Liked 19 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Arau View Post
...i've been working on that for a day or two now, trying to find out what this "wine sulfur" actually is...
Personally, I would not add anything to my "brews" unless I was fully aware of what it was. Wine sulfur could be anything, but rather than guess at what it is, or rely on a "long distance" guesstimate, I would take it back to the dealer and get my $$ back.

In its place, I would get some potassium metabisulfite, which you may choose to use as an oxygen scavenger prior to long term aging - added to ~50-75ppm.
__________________
Visit me at the Brew Brothers

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
Arau
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
sweden
Posts: 39
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


i actually found a site now that seems to have claered up my question. apparently 1 campden tablet is equal to .5g of this wine sulfur, and according to my source (which unfortunately is in swedish so i can't show you guys) i should add a fifth of a teaspoon of this stuff per 5 liters? seems like a little but i guess that if half a gram of it is equal to one campden tablet then it is probably pretty strong.

like i said before this is my first batch of mead, and i'm still new to the stuff. when am i supposed to use winesulfur/campden?

1.before adding yeast to kill any wild yeast/bacteria. i heated the must before adding the yeast though, and washed my carboy with boiling water so i think i'm in the clear on this one.

2. i've read that i'm supposed to add it after every other racking to prevent oxidation. wouldn't this stop the yeast present from fermenting it?

3.before bottling to i guess prevent re-fermentation and oxidation?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
hightest
Recipes 
 
Oct 2008
Bridgeton, NJ
Posts: 434
Liked 19 Times on 7 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Arau View Post
i actually found a site...(which unfortunately is in swedish so i can't show you guys)...
Actually, you could still list the website link as there are website translators capable of translating between languages.

In my case Firefox, has a handy translator add-on that I'd like to try out (hint)...

I mitt fall Firefox, har en behändig översättare add-on som jag vill prova (hint) ...
__________________
Visit me at the Brew Brothers


 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sulfur smell Unkle Danky Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 17 06-19-2015 12:55 AM
Sulfur in my water HomerJR All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 05-23-2010 04:16 AM
Now I know what you mean by sulfur! neuron555 General Techniques 1 08-04-2008 12:32 PM
HELP . . . Sulfur Odor!?! evenstill Recipes/Ingredients 12 05-04-2008 06:50 PM
sulfur smell = sulfur taste MikeRLynch Winemaking Forum 2 01-19-2007 12:31 AM


Forum Jump