Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Just another Newb Yeast starter question

Old 12-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
KingC
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Just another Newb Yeast starter question

Hey all,

I'm planning on starting up a brew of NB's Cherry Stout extract kit. Anyone ever done that kit? My main question is: the kit came with a pack of dried yeast. All my other previous brews were done using smack pack cultures of yeast, so I've never done a starter culture before. How necessary is it (using this kit or any other time) to pitch a starter culture vs just tossing in the dried yeast. Could I just inoculate my cooled wort with the packet of dried yeast on the day of brewing? I'm sure a starter culture is the way to go, but I'm anxious to brew this up and don't know if I really wanna wait around. Any suggestions would be swell.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Cheeto
Born again N00b
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 18

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/vs-p...8/#post1204665

Take a look here

I would not make a starter with the dry yeast.
I use dry yeast more often than not, all I do is sprinkle it over the wort.
My method may not be right to someone else but it works for me.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
likwidbliss
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Dump and wait. I have never had a yeast dry or liquid fail. I rarely if ever make a starter. The yest has been around for millions of years and making beer for thousands.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:09 AM   #4
KingC
Recipes 

Thanks guys. I guess my main concern was not that the dry yeast wouldn't work, but that it would take longer for them to activate and begin replication thus increasing the chances of a bacterial infection occurring. But I do have a tendency to over-analyze things often and maybe the best advice I can give my self is to, RDWHAHB.

Old 12-21-2009, 12:56 AM   #5
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I rehydrate my dry yeast, it's supposed to keep them from stressing out. I don't know if that's the case or not, as I haven't learned to read the minds of yeasties yet but all my fermentations have started and finished just fine.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 12-21-2009, 01:12 AM   #6
flamewing
Recipes 

If I remember right dry yeast already has the cell count for brewing out of the pack. As stated earlier re-hydrating would lower yeast stress and also verify that the yeast is viable.