Batch sparging and mash out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pretzelb

Reaction score
I'm a bit confused on what I'm reading about batch sparging. I am finding two procedures that both seem to call themselves batch sparging. One involves draining then adding more water after the first run is done, mixing it up and then draining again for second running. The other seems to say add more water to bring up to mash out temp and then drain all at once.

What's confusing is the first method doesn't seem to do any kind of mash out on the first runnings and it sounds like skipping the mash out step would be bad. The second method would take care of mash out but wouldn't really provide a secondary rinse.

It's confusing because both seem to be labeled as batch sparging yet they seem very different to me.

i batch sparge similar to the first method you described. i gather my first runnings and then split the amount i need to achieve my preboil volume into two batch sparges. i normally add about 190 deg water to get the grain bed as close to 170 as possible, so it's kind of like a mashout... mashouts aren't necessary, quoting JP:

" A lot of homebrewers tend to skip the mashout step for most mashes with no consequences."

You will find conflicting info like this for almost every brewing process. One guy does it this way, the other this way, so on. And most of the time if you look really close they all end up at the same place. Just gotta figure out what works for you. If you are a stickler for numbers and procedure then do a mash out. If you just want to make some beer don't worry about it. Either will work. Batch sparging is a fairly quick process and you will be heating the wort in the kettle soon anyway, not gonna make that big of a difference I think.

bell0347,

This is way off topic, but I was there with the dudes that took you avatar picture...lol. That thing went viral. It was a group of USAF Pararescue trainees in the Paramedic portion of their training in 2007 (My friend and I were instructors...was my friends camera that was used). That picture was taken in Roswell New Mexico, at the old Walker Air Force Base (where the aliens were stored lol). The two GI Joe figures were the focus of about 8 months of kidnappings, ransom demands with photos, and gereral skullduggery. I was a good class with some funny mofos. I can dig up probably a hundred more with the GI Joe dudes. Anyways, thought I would share.

Shizzle

Batch sparging doesn't require a mash out.

Part of my problem is keeping it simple and following directions. It seems like some batch sparge procedures do mention a mash out portion, while others do not. To make it more confusing, I have yet to find one source that lists the different types of batch sparging and compares the differences. I just downloaded the trial of BeerSmith and it appears to have 3rd option which includes adding two volumes of near 170 degree water.

I guess between my books, online, my recipe from my online vendor, and my software, I'm having a hard time figuring out who to follow.

Back