Here's what I've done. Late last night, I attempted a quick 'mini-mash' in the hopes that I could get a starter going. I have never developed starters but, it sounded like the thing to do at the time! ...and being that I am new to all grain brewing, my thought process was 'screw it, just throw (the grain) in there (the boil) and see what happens. Not thinking about the fact that I had simply created a bowl of cereal, I cooled it and tossed in my yeast. Yep, $7.00 worth of yeast, right into a bowl of cereal. 'Yep, that'll work...'
Later, I started re-thinking what I had done and it posted here. ...and kinda got the response I was looking for, "So you did mash the grain, not just boil some malt in water." Well, fudge... That's what I get for playing around in the kitchen and drinking at the same time.
This afternoon, I was getting ready to dump the contents of my growler and it dawned on me, I did boil the grain. I did let the grain cool before I threw my yeast in... and the airlock hasn't moved... Hmmm... Maybe I didn't screw this up as bad as I thought! 'OMG! That poor yeast is in that grower and it's starving!! I must save it!'
So, I improvised a double boiler and got my 'mini mash tun' (saucepan) temp set at 152', which is what the recipe called for and mashed another cup of grain for 60 minutes. I ran that through a strainer and sparged my 'mini mash' with another 1 1/2 cups of water, set at 160'. I have no real rhyme or reason why I used this amount or this temperature. I knew that I would lose heat during the sparge, so I set my temp a little higher.
Anyway, I boiled that for about 20 minutes and let it cool to 75'. Meanwhile, I drained off all of the clear liquid in my grower, leaving the yeast. I put my small batch of wort in the grower with the yeast and now, I have a happy airlock.
The only thing I'm worried about now is the 10 minute boil on my first 'attempt'. If it didn't kill off all the baddies, I'll have to restart this whole process with another vial of yeast...