Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Avery Old Jubilation - What's the flavor?

Old 12-19-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
phasedweasel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Avery Old Jubilation - What's the flavor?

So right now I'm drinking an Old Jubilation. To me, I get a kind of cloying, mouth filling sweetness that I associate with Wee Heavies. Maybe it's more than just a sweetness, it's a flavor / aroma that I strongly associate with the sweetness of a Wee Heavy.

However, the Avery website says they have both an OG of 1.074 and an abv of 8%. By my calculation, that puts them at about 1.013 FG, or >80% attenuation. This would not leave a residual sweetness, and I suspect that this perception of mine is more about the prominent flavor of the beer rather than a high FG. So I'm trying to figure out what it is that I react to.

Their site says the malts are 2 row, black, chocolate, special roast and Victory. I've not had much beer with Victory, but from the forums I was lead to believe it has more of a toasty / bready / biscuity flavor.

Help me develop my palate: what are the prominent malty flavors you taste in Old Jubilation? Thanks!!