Ball Lock Sankey Adapter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytemyfoot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of building a kegerator for my homebrew and I got to thinking about using sankey kegs in there too. I looked around a saw a bunch of different options for converting between the two connection types. However, I was wondering if there is a coupler out there like the one that makes the most sense in my head: It would be a sankey coupler with ball lock posts (or pin lock, I guess) right on the appropriate parts. Like this (pardon my subpar phot manipulation skills):

geniusidea.jpg

If it doesn't exist, how hard would it be to make? Just tossing out an idea that popped into my head.

The way I understand it, with that setup, you have threaded connections on your sankey connector, your 2 ball lock connectors and your lines. What I'm thinking of is putting the posts for ball locks directly onto the sankey connector so you don't have to unscrew anything or swap anything out.

The way I understand it, with that setup, you have threaded connections on your sankey connector, your 2 ball lock connectors and your lines. What I'm thinking of is putting the posts for ball locks directly onto the sankey connector so you don't have to unscrew anything or swap anything out.

I understood, was just suggesting a much easier alternative.

Thought about it some more tho, and I think you would have to find a way to raise the lip inside the threads like on a corny (the dip tube and gasket). Otherwise the poppet would hve nothing to sit on.

Apparently it is possible! I found these pictures (not mine) on another forum. I don't know the policy on linking to another forum, so I won't.

coupler_together.jpg

coupler_apart.jpg

(The part numbers are for Northern Brewer)

What would be the drawbacks of using a setup like this?

no drawbacks other than the cost, and the additional leak points. but, it's one way to use a micromatic cleaning bottle with corny ball-locks :)

no drawbacks other than the cost, and the additional leak points. but, it's one way to use a micromatic cleaning bottle with corny ball-locks :)
Which is a very nice quick and less messy way to clean beer lines and couplers/faucets.

I upgraded to the pressurized cleaning system last year. What a time saver

I would probably go for something like the pictures if I constantly had Sanke kegs running. Would save about 10min/keg, not including the time saved by marzsit's ingenious cleaning idea.

Old thread, but it came up when I was searching for an answer to a similar puzzle. Others might like to know: This conversion makes it easy to use those hand-held co2 chargers on a sankey tap too.

I keep a regular half-barrel keg in the house fridge, tapped for drinking. I keep my cornies out in the garage under co2 pressure while carbonating. This allows me to pour from the half-barrel while still carbonating the cornies in the garage. No more moving the heavy co2 tank back and forth!

Apparently it is possible! I found these pictures (not mine) on another forum. I don't know the policy on linking to another forum, so I won't.

coupler_together.jpg

coupler_apart.jpg

(The part numbers are for Northern Brewer)

What would be the drawbacks of using a setup like this?

Why on God's earth would someone use a mass of redundant fittings? Can anyone say LEAK (or WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY)! Let's see...you need to connect hose to the threaded disconnects and wait...item K027 is a threaded tail piece! Everything else in the middle (including the disconnects are useless)!

Why, why, WHY?! Some people. :mad:

Why on God's earth would someone use a mass of redundant fittings? Can anyone say LEAK (or WASTE OF TIME AND MONEY)! Let's see...you need to connect hose to the threaded disconnects and wait...item K027 is a threaded tail piece! Everything else in the middle (including the disconnects are useless)!

Why, why, WHY?! Some people. :mad:

Just go back to the OP's original post and his question.

Now with that said, please show all of us how you would connect a Connelius disconnect to a Sanke tap.

Just go back to the OP's original post and his question.

Now with that said, please show all of us how you would connect a Connelius disconnect to a Sanke tap.

Since I have threaded fittings on most everyting, I'd connect my lines directly to the tap with installed threaded tail pieces...simple. See similar suggestions by Dkersher and DubbelDach in this post.

We are all free to do what we want, but why would one connect a hose with threaded fittings to a dissconnect, to a post, to a second fitting and then to a threaded tail piece? Piling on all of the extra fittings accomplishes nothing and is not clean looking (honestly looks like poo). I'm not a pipe fitter but any one of them might cry at the sight of this. :eek:

Sorry, just my $0.02 and an honest opinion (and that's all it is).

Since I mostly use Sankey connections, is there an adapter to go the other way? Something I can screw onto the ball lock ends that will accept the Sankey nuts? Or am I nuts?

Bummer. There's not enough headspace in my kegerator for piggy-backed couplers. I should probably check out the link on how to fill a Sankey keg.

Yeah, this would be too tall too in my BevAir kegerator. Plus it has many leak points to add to the mix. It is really fast to unscrew swivel nuts and screw on to either the MFL connector adaptor on your Sanke, or direct to the ball lock connector for the corny. Takes a few seconds and reduces your leak points to a minimum.

Back