Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > First Big Brewing Screwup
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 09:24 PM   #1
Atrus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 48
Default First Big Brewing Screwup

Well, two really.....

on my batch today (4th batch), I had the thermometer in the pot while steeping, and as usual, I left it in while I added the DME and honey. I thought to myself "I should probably remove this while boiling"...but, of course, I didn't. So, I am 30 mins into the boil, and I go to move the thermometer, and realize that the tip had broken, so I had plasticy-ball bearing congolermate sitting in the bottom of the pot. So, that wort got dumped, no way I was going to attempt to salvage it and serve it with the possibility of glass shards and thermometer pieces in there

My "minor" screwup....trying to brew my wheat today, also trying to multitask and fix dinner for the wife as a nice surprise for when she got home (I had the day off!). Anyway, while trying to make the wontons for the soup, I took my focus off the brewpot, where a WHOLE LOTTA wort, mostly hops, spilled onto the stove. People aren't kidding when they say it's a mess! I am 1/2 tempted to get out the belt sander to get this crap off (slight exaggeration). So, it'll be the next decade before I get the stove cleaned again.

Anyway, back off to the store for more honey, saaz hops, and wheat DME. Not letting this end today's brew, it will go on!!!!


__________________
Primary: nuffin'
Secondary: nuffin'
Conditioning: nuffin'
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Ale
On Deck: ?
Atrus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:50 PM   #2
Caplan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,165
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default

Bad luck on your first batch of today - It happens.
However your worst screw up was trying to brew the second one and fix dinner for SWMBO. I'm sure the 'surprise' made her day.
"You had the whole day off and still managed to do that to the stove?.....


Caplan is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:51 PM   #3
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,274
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrus
Well, two really.....

on my batch today (4th batch), I had the thermometer in the pot while steeping, and as usual, I left it in while I added the DME and honey. I thought to myself "I should probably remove this while boiling"...but, of course, I didn't. So, I am 30 mins into the boil, and I go to move the thermometer, and realize that the tip had broken, so I had plasticy-ball bearing congolermate sitting in the bottom of the pot. So, that wort got dumped, no way I was going to attempt to salvage it and serve it with the possibility of glass shards and thermometer pieces in there


D'oh! These things happen, live and learn. One thing caught my attention - Are you boiling your grains after steeping them? You'll get a lot of tannins and an astringent taste in your beer if you are. You need to strain them out before the boil.
__________________
Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.
Chairman Cheyco is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:07 AM   #4
Atrus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
D'oh! These things happen, live and learn. One thing caught my attention - Are you boiling your grains after steeping them? You'll get a lot of tannins and an astringent taste in your beer if you are. You need to strain them out before the boil.

Nope, grain in a bag, steeped for 30 mins, remove, add DME (and honey this time), then bring to boil


Yeah, live and learn. Just finished cleaning up the kitchen. Stove still looks hit. I think it's going to take some time to come clean. Darn light beige glass-top stove.
__________________
Primary: nuffin'
Secondary: nuffin'
Conditioning: nuffin'
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Ale
On Deck: ?
Atrus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:08 AM   #5
Atrus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caplan
However your worst screw up was trying to brew the second one and fix dinner for SWMBO. I'm sure the 'surprise' made her day.
"You had the whole day off and still managed to do that to the stove?.....
Ha, I know. Trying to do too much at once, I'm always making this mistake.

On a good note, dinner came out great and she loved it.
__________________
Primary: nuffin'
Secondary: nuffin'
Conditioning: nuffin'
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Ale
On Deck: ?
Atrus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:14 AM   #6
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Chairman Cheyco's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Calgary
Posts: 3,274
Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atrus
On a good note, dinner came out great and she loved it.
Sweet! Atrus is gonna git bizzay tonight!
__________________
Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.
Chairman Cheyco is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 02:23 AM   #7
Atrus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: S.E. Michigan
Posts: 48
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairman Cheyco
Sweet! Atrus is gonna git bizzay tonight!
That's what I'm holdin' out for.


__________________
Primary: nuffin'
Secondary: nuffin'
Conditioning: nuffin'
Bottled: Oktoberfest, Pumpkin Ale
On Deck: ?
Atrus is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Don't be me: bulk grain storage screwup fratermus All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 01-26-2009 01:43 PM
I am sure this is a screwup ttownbrew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 12 01-09-2008 07:52 PM
First brew, one screwup, what to expect? ShadowWulf Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 10-15-2007 11:49 AM
how big a screwup- over fermination txmus3 Wine Making Forum 3 04-14-2007 01:36 AM
Major Screwup El Pistolero General Chit Chat 18 03-24-2006 11:14 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS