What did I make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stoopidwon

Reaction score
2.5 Gallon batch

2 gallons apple juice (brand???)
2 apple juice concentrates (brand???)
3 cups of suger
some cinnamin
mutons yeast

og 1.080 fermenting nicely

Will it turn out as a descent drink or just be garbage.

Test my FG on this its ended up at .996 that puts me over 11% deffinatly a wine, not to bad actually but pretty dry... Any recommendations as far as backsweeting this? If I add sugers at this point will it just restart or do I have to kill the yeasts to do that...

Thanks in advance

You really should add chemicals to make sure the yeast stays dead if you want to sweeten it. Or, and some people cringe at this idea, use Splenda because it won't start fermenting again.

Depends on how sweet you want it. If you just want to take the dry edge off you could use wine conditioner. I wouldn't try to really sweeten up something with it, though. I made a similar batch recently and finished it up by racking onto some crushed campden tablets and potassium sorbate, then backsweetening with apple juice concentrate. I was a little worried about restarting the fermentation but it's been several weeks and nothing so far. I had a glass today and it was very tasty.

Test my FG on this its ended up at .996 that puts me over 11% deffinatly a wine, not to bad actually but pretty dry... Any recommendations as far as backsweeting this? If I add sugers at this point will it just restart or do I have to kill the yeasts to do that...

Thanks in advance
You didn't say how old it was but myself I would age it more before I would add anything. The higher alcohol content the more it needs to age to taste good IMO. You may end up liking it the way it is. It's up to you of course.

Back