I Searched for "Yeast Washing", but Nothing Came Up... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > I Searched for "Yeast Washing", but Nothing Came Up...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #1
Evan!
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,863
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts



Ha, just kidding! There are plenty of yeast washing threads, but I have some pics, and I need some advice. Here's my situation:

I brewed a belgian dubbel, and the Abbey yeast is just AWESOME, so I want to wash it and save it. At racking, I added cranberries, so I ended up actually filling the secondary carboy, and there was still maybe a quarter-inch of beer on top of the trub left in the secondary. As such, I didn't need to add water to the primary, i just sanitized the lip, sanitized a big honey jar, swirled the primary around, and dumped that into the honey jar. I put the lid on, let it settle out. So, I had a very distinct separation after awhile, so I boiled some water for 15 mins, sanitized a couple smaller mason jars, and poured the liquids into them. One of them is almost all liquid, and the other has some solids. The main jar, however, was all solids, so I poured the water on top of it---then swirled it around. So, here's what I had this morning, after doing all that:



The one on the left, of course, is the main jar. The jar on the right is almost all beer, but I'm expecting more yeast to fall out over the weekend. The one in the middle was the very last of the decanted liquid, which obviously brought some yeast/trub with it.

I'm saving all three bottles in the fridge, because I suspect that each one of them will get even more settled yeast at the bottom. Then, I guess, I'll again decant the liquid layer from the top, then try to save the top layer of gunk in the main jar, while discarding the bottom layer, which is bound to be mostly trub.

Thoughts? Suggestions? What should I do now?
__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:19 PM   #2
Todd
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Mechanicsburg PA
Posts: 586
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


See the bottom 1/5th of the left bottle, I think that is trub and the rest is yeast you want to keep. The middle bottle is probably also yeast in suspension and more water.

the longer you let it sit the left bottle will compress and lose that separation.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Ha, just kidding! There are plenty of yeast washing threads, but I have some pics, and I need some advice. Here's my situation:

I brewed a belgian dubbel, and the Abbey yeast is just AWESOME, so I want to wash it and save it. At racking, I added cranberries, so I ended up actually filling the secondary carboy, and there was still maybe a quarter-inch of beer on top of the trub left in the secondary. As such, I didn't need to add water to the primary, i just sanitized the lip, sanitized a big honey jar, swirled the primary around, and dumped that into the honey jar. I put the lid on, let it settle out. So, I had a very distinct separation after awhile, so I boiled some water for 15 mins, sanitized a couple smaller mason jars, and poured the liquids into them. One of them is almost all liquid, and the other has some solids. The main jar, however, was all solids, so I poured the water on top of it---then swirled it around. So, here's what I had this morning, after doing all that:



The one on the left, of course, is the main jar. The jar on the right is almost all beer, but I'm expecting more yeast to fall out over the weekend. The one in the middle was the very last of the decanted liquid, which obviously brought some yeast/trub with it.

I'm saving all three bottles in the fridge, because I suspect that each one of them will get even more settled yeast at the bottom. Then, I guess, I'll again decant the liquid layer from the top, then try to save the top layer of gunk in the main jar, while discarding the bottom layer, which is bound to be mostly trub.

Thoughts? Suggestions? What should I do now?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:25 PM   #3
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,597
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts


Dump the yellow & the red one. Any yeast they contain will have poor focculation. Pour off the top 2/3rds of the main one & save it. That will give you the cleanest yeast. You're not shooting for maximum yield here.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Evan!
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,863
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts


When should I pour off the top 2/3rds of the big jar? Today? Now?
__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:32 PM   #5
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Yuri_Rage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2006
Southwest
Posts: 14,291
Liked 813 Times on 514 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
When should I pour off the top 2/3rds of the big jar? Today? Now?
I like to let the yeast settle for at least a day before decanting the liquid off the top. I usually put the jar in the fridge to speed the process.
__________________
Homebrewed Blog..........YouTube Channel .......... Shirts, posters, etc

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:56 PM   #6
Evan!
 
Evan!'s Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Charlottesville, VA
Posts: 11,863
Liked 88 Times on 73 Posts


Yep, mine's in the fridge now. So, let me clear this up: once it's settled out, I pour the liquid off the top and discard that. Then, I pour the top 2/3 of the remaining solids into a sanitized jar, and there I have my yeast. Am I right? Or do you think I need to do a second washing, like Wyeast says?
__________________
MOSS HOLLOW BREWING CO.
Aristocratic Ales, Lascivious Lagers


.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 04:01 PM   #7
Todd
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
Mechanicsburg PA
Posts: 586
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Yep, mine's in the fridge now. So, let me clear this up: once it's settled out, I pour the liquid off the top and discard that. Then, I pour the top 2/3 of the remaining solids into a sanitized jar, and there I have my yeast. Am I right? Or do you think I need to do a second washing, like Wyeast says?

I think you need to pour the top 2/3 off now and just let that sit. The stuff that is currently settled to the bottom is what you don't want, letting everything compress more won't help.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 03:31 PM   #8
homebrewer_99
 
homebrewer_99's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2005
Atkinson (near the Quad Cities), IL
Posts: 17,792
Liked 133 Times on 99 Posts


Since you have trub in the pictured jug you need to pour off the water into another sanitized jug and discard the trub. Resanitize that jug again and repeat the process if the second jug has any trub in it.

What you want to keep is the cloudy water. That's yeast in suspension.

You are washing the yeast off of the trub as well as stripping/washing any sugar from the yeast. This way the yeast becomes dormant and you won't have to vent it when it's in the fridge as some people do.

After 3 times you should not have any trub left...don't try to get every drop of yeast out of a yeast cake. You'll still have plenty at your disposal.

After all the trub is gone let it sit in the fridge (the cold will make it fall out faster) overnight or a couple of days. You'll notice the water clearing up.

If you want to split up the yeast in the jug you need to sanitize smaller containers (I use baby food jars). Pour off about 4/5ths of the water. Re-swirl/shake the jug to get the yeast and remaining water mixed again. Then pour it into the smaller containers, cap and place it back into the fridges. These are your yeasts to make starters with. Use them as you would a smak-pak or a vial.
__________________
HB Bill

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"American" or "Imperial" Oatmeal Stout Recipe: Critiques please! cladinshadows Recipes/Ingredients 5 11-23-2015 11:14 PM
Giant "starter" - worth washing the yeast? cactusgarrett General Techniques 3 02-05-2009 12:15 AM
"The Shield" viewers - have you seen "Sons of Anarchy?" Laurel General Chit Chat 2 09-10-2008 07:41 PM
What do I look for when "washing" my yeast? BierMuncher Recipes/Ingredients 12 01-22-2007 05:46 PM


Forum Jump