Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > General Arduino Discussion

Old 12-17-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Fingers
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustguy View Post
Or you could have a look at the Fermtroller at http://www.brewtroller.com. The Fermtroller is based on a Anduino AT-Mega and they have some software already written. Why re-invent the wheel?
Those of us who are interested in the Arduino are tinkerers. We like to build our stuff instead of buying it off the shelf. Nothing more fun that getting a microprocessor to do your bidding.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:33 PM   #12
Brew_Weasel
Recipes 

Where would one start to learn programming for an Arduino say, if one was.... completely unfamiliar with anything other than simple database work. And I wrote basic programs on an Apple IIe in 7th grade....lol. Is there a "For Dummies" book or site?

Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
jkarp
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Protean Logic makes some neat little BASIC programmable micro-controllers. I used them extensively for telemetry payloads back in my high-power rocketry days.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
md20_20
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The examples on www.arduino.cc make it easy to learn by progressive editing - pick out a program that does something you can observe, then tweak it a little, see what happens, etc.

Just don't try to make it do too much. I went through an overzealous phase with mine where I built lots of classes with lots of bells and whistles and ran it out of memory pretty quickly. (Hint: strings take up a lot of memory, relatively speaking.) When I backed my expectation down from "it's a standalone PC" to "it's a microcontroller that has communication capability" I got more reliability.

The warmest beer you ever drank was just cold enough.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #15
Sawdustguy
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers View Post
Those of us who are interested in the Arduino are tinkerers. We like to build our stuff instead of buying it off the shelf. Nothing more fun that getting a microprocessor to do your bidding.
It's not really off the shelf. The Brewtroller is simply a Arduino AT Mega board with the pin outs neatly organized. Which makes it easier when wiring your project. It's available as a bare board, built or a kit. Jeremiah Dillingham, the designer of the Brewtroller is an avid brewer and member here. True, there is software written for those who choose not to write their own but it is open source and one could modify or write their own software. It's not much different than buying an AT Mega with a USB-BUB and shield to bring the I/O to terminal blocks.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:23 AM   #16
Fingers

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts

Got my Arduino for Christmas. The learning begins.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #17
98EXL

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts

I just ordered an arduino, some tri-color LEDs (yeah, I'm a sucker for oooh shiney), a white on black LCD, temp sensors and a few misc parts....I'm trying to make a nice arduino controlled kegerator. Once I get this part all done, I'll get the kegging guts in there.

I'm as happy as a pig in you know what. Friends of mine think I'm nuts...mixing electronics with beer, I think I'm perfectly sane.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:15 PM   #18
paddyfunk
Recipes 

Electronics and beer go together well. It is soldering irons and beer that you have to watch out for.

Really half of the hobby for me (and I'm sure a lot of people out there) is building and tweaking stuff.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #19
dozer4412
Recipes 

Question for all you microprocessor experts out there. Is there an easy way to setup a microprocessor to be driven by a computer? It seems to me a microprocessor is the "brain" of whatever its in control of, i.e. the code on the microprocessor needs to know when to take readings, when to turn something on or off and so on.

The issue I have is I want a program on my PC to be the brain, and the microprocessor to simply be the hardware in charge of turning on and off SSR's and taking readings from sensors when the program on my PC tells it to.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #20
Vinic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dozer4412 View Post
Is there an easy way to setup a microprocessor to be driven by a computer?
Hmmm, the core of a computer *is* a microprocessor, with added interface for both input (keyboard, usb, disk drive, microphone, camera) and output (screen, usb, writable disk drive, speakers).

Devices like an Arduino provide an extra layer of input (thermometer, thermocoupler) and output (terminal switches).

I've not worked with an Arduino per se, but imagine that they can be interfaced pretty easily with simple languages like perl (or 'most any language for that matter) to do pretty much anything you'd want them to do.

The setup I'm working on uses a couple alternative devices for input/ouput (I/O), namely because it's what I had laying around to work with already.

The latest addition controls a simple heat pad to bump the temp on my mash tun. It's not PID, but seems to work just fine since it's not having to adjust very quickly.