Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Nonrefundable Bottles / Bottles from Liquor Stores

Old 12-16-2009, 03:10 AM   #1
doggage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Nonrefundable Bottles / Bottles from Liquor Stores

I have a steady supply of large "nonrefundable" Coke bottles from a Mexican restaurant. They also have some really large flavored soda bottles that I can get. Anyone happen to know if these nonrefundable bottles are safe to use? I've used old 1 pint Coke bottles successfully before, but those didn't have the "nonrefundable" label.

On a related note, has anyone had luck getting bottles that were returned for recycling at liquor stores?

Old 12-16-2009, 03:17 AM   #2
chrisgray
Recipes 

I Have used The Mexican coke bottles and many other imported soda bottles. I like to find weird ones like Thums Up from India. Anyways, they are totally fine to use, just don't leave them exposed to sunlight as that may cause problems....

Old 12-20-2009, 11:33 PM   #3
doggage
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well, I found another Mexican restaurant that uses "Retornable" bottles, so I'm going to be getting a boatload from them instead. I wish there were some way to get all the painted lettering off. I think I heard that Starsan works for that, so I'm going to give it a try.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2883 Times on 1701 Posts
Likes Given: 3514

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggage View Post
Well, I found another Mexican restaurant that uses "Retornable" bottles, so I'm going to be getting a boatload from them instead. I wish there were some way to get all the painted lettering off. I think I heard that Starsan works for that, so I'm going to give it a try.
I have had no luck with starsan on mexican coke bottles, and I've tried various dillutions and even full strength with no luck. You might have to try muratic acid or a wire wheel.....

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-21-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
jcobbs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Try a buffer wheel and jeweler's rouge. I have used it to remove screen printing from ceramic coffee mugs. Very quick and easy.