Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > New beer style: India FAIL Ale (IFA)

Old 01-23-2010, 12:04 AM   #11
jds
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts

Then again, you could brew up a nice malty amber, and blend it with the UberIPA until you reach a bitterness level you like.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:14 AM   #12
forces
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Well, now that it has been sitting around for a couple months, it has actually mellowed out nicely. I wish it had finished out a little drier, but thats an anrelated issue.

Since I am doing partial boils, would low hop utilization cause the bitter to subside faster after bottling?

Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 AM   #13
Brewinator
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Hop flavor and aroma on the other hand, you could get rid of quickly.
And you could get rid of horny playmates in a hurry too, but WHY!?!?!?

Old 01-26-2010, 04:01 AM   #14
joety
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by forces View Post
So, the IBU's came out to 125! and to top it off, I under pitched it, so the FG was 1.020.
That would actually help balance the beer, not make it more bitter. 1.060 is not a massive beer, I would think more might be at work here than underpitching as to why you finished high. Since this is an extract thread, I'll assume it was not mash temp related. What yeast did you use and what temperature did you ferment at?

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - Bavarian Dunkel

Kegged: Belgian Dirty Blonde Trappist Ale, Forbidden Fruit IPA, Double Chocolate Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Looking for ideas

Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
forces
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joety View Post
That would actually help balance the beer, not make it more bitter. 1.060 is not a massive beer, I would think more might be at work here than underpitching as to why you finished high. Since this is an extract thread, I'll assume it was not mash temp related. What yeast did you use and what temperature did you ferment at?
I used US05. I don't recall the dermentation temp, but I remember this was fermenting during some of the colder months of winter. It would have never been below 55 degrees F though. Since it has been a few months, this beer seems to have mellowed out a lot. Because of the high FG, It is now a little too MALTY. I beleive that you are correct though, there was another contributing factor; I wasn't patient enough with the primary fermentation. With it fermenting at a lower temp, I should have left it in the primary for another week or so to compensate. I didn't know that at the time.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:02 PM   #16
joety

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by forces View Post
I used US05. I don't recall the dermentation temp, but I remember this was fermenting during some of the colder months of winter. It would have never been below 55 degrees F though. Since it has been a few months, this beer seems to have mellowed out a lot. Because of the high FG, It is now a little too MALTY. I beleive that you are correct though, there was another contributing factor; I wasn't patient enough with the primary fermentation. With it fermenting at a lower temp, I should have left it in the primary for another week or so to compensate. I didn't know that at the time.
Yes, it's a lot harder to underpitch with dry yeast. Zymurgy or BYO did a recent experiment going from something like 1/4 pack up to 4 packs in the same wort, and there was no difference in FG in the four/five batches. This was done concurrently with multiple brewers with the same result. Taste was impacted as well as total time of the fermentation, but not final gravity. They did not try it with liquid yeast. I think they felt the experiment would be too hard to control.

Secondaries - None
Lagering in Kegs - Bavarian Dunkel

Kegged: Belgian Dirty Blonde Trappist Ale, Forbidden Fruit IPA, Double Chocolate Stout, Bourbon County Stout, BLC
Bottled: Oaked Bourbon Porter
Planned: Looking for ideas

Old 01-27-2010, 12:56 AM   #17
petep1980

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Let it sit, the high FG may actually help balance the hops I bet.