Day number 2!
Got 8 of 11 gallons in the pot. The other 3 are on the kitchen stove
One down 39 more to go! A few are missing from the pic since I also have the wife adding some to the 3 gallons on the stove but at about every 15 minutes.
I can almost see the finish line!
This is about 2/3 the way into the boil and I now took the wort from the kitchen stove and added it to the main kettle. This was about 80-90 minutes in so enough evaporated from both pots that I could just get it in!
WTF! Where did the time go?
Did I say I got all the wort to fit? Maybe it was too soon to call! But hey I am a pro! My boil is about to go volcanic and I still went for the camera first!
No problem the kettle only spewed an ounce or two on the ground!
My wort looks like an oil spill!
Claire agrees these are going to be good! Pulled off just a hair over 7.5 gallons.
And into the minibrew where I hit it with some oxygen!
I followed the recipes online but used Brewpal to scale it to 7.5 gallons. I also roasted my own grain for the amber so the color may not be exact but with the amount of grain I really doubt it will matter.
24 LBS pils
Mixed up then Split up into 40 plastic shot glasses. I believe it was about 5 grams per cup. I also fly-sparged for my first time. Brewpal gave me a gravity of 1.084 my real gravity was 1.081 possibly due to my fly technique or lack of! Other problems that came up, well lets say after a week of 15 below temps in Chicago when I turned on my outside hose it blew the pipe in the basement! Not good and I knew better. At least my spidy sense kicked in and after turning on the water I decided to check the basement and sure enough I had a geyser! I also have all the outside lines with a shut off separate from the main water so its not so bad. Just a little water to mop up and a new section of pipe in the spring.
Tonight I will start with the sugar additions but do you think I should add some DME to raise the gravity or just let it go.
Edit: Corrected OG per my notes. Also Boiled up 1qt of water with all the DME on hand (1.180) and dumped that into the fermenter. Note sure how that effects my OG though.