Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > crushed grains: how long will they stay good for?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Lunarpancake
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default crushed grains: how long will they stay good for?

I made the mistake of asking for a crushed grain kit for christmas....and forgot that the grains will go stale eventually. I was able to put them in the fridge, and they are in an air-sealed package.

How long will they stay fresh for approx?

....no im not looking for a reason to get the gift early and brew today. Ok, maybe im hoping ill get to do that.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #2
android
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you'll get differing answers, but i think you'll be fine for at least a few months. i've gone around 6 weeks before and had no drop in efficiency. the fridge is fine, but you can freeze them as well.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Old 12-14-2009, 07:15 PM   #3
sp1365
Recipes 

I order 3-4 recipes worth of grains crushed at a time so the last batch usually is sitting a month or so before use. I have not seen any problems thus far. The enemy of crushed grain is air and moisture so if you can reduce/eliminate those the grains should be good for at least a couple months.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #4
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

sorry if i was unclear, these are pre-crushed.

on a side note:

Austin Homebrew Supply is absolutely my store of choice now. I ordered the kit...everything is sealed in vacuum sealed plastic pouches (even items that dont need to be fresh) AND the crushed grains are already in a steeping bag inside the sealed plastic. What could be more convenient?

Old 12-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #5
sp1365
Recipes 

Nope you were clear, maybe I wasn't. We are talking about the same thing. I order all my grains from AHS as well. Each recipe as part of a different grain bill then pre-crushed by AHS and sealed. I order my recipes for the month at the beginning and the last package doesn't get opened till around 4 weeks later. I have found this to work well so far.

I love AHS . Great prices, shipping, and selection. I have a good LHBS as well so I usually get grains from AHS and everything else from my LHBS.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:30 PM   #6
Lunarpancake
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp1365 View Post
Nope you were clear, maybe I wasn't. We are talking about the same thing. I order all my grains from AHS as well. Each recipe as part of a different grain bill then pre-crushed by AHS and sealed. I order my recipes for the month at the beginning and the last package doesn't get opened till around 4 weeks later. I have found this to work well so far.

I love AHS . Great prices, shipping, and selection. I have a good LHBS as well so I usually get grains from AHS and everything else from my LHBS.
Ok...cool. Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I froze mine for a little over a month and a half in an air tight bag and in a tubberware container. I made the beer yesterday (partial mash) and I got exactly 75% efficiency. Pretty win stuff.