Dry hopping in corneys? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Dry hopping in corneys?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2009, 02:30 AM   #1
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
CA
Posts: 718
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts



Hi there,

I do AG, ferment in sankes and secondary is done in my corney kegs, from their they get force carbonated and to the kegerator they go for drinking.

I have never dry hopped but want to try an IPA coming up. Is it possible to dry hop with whole leaf hops in the corney? Will the hops clog the fluid pickup tube?


Thanks for your help.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:53 AM   #2
Scut_Monkey
 
Scut_Monkey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,656
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


With whole hops you will obviously have a lot larger volume of hop material. I would recommend using a small hop/grain bag and fix it to the dip tube with a nylon zip tie or something similar.

I use stainless mesh balls (insert pervert comment here) that can be bought from home brew stores for ~$4 or from walmart for ~$1.50 in the kitchen aisle.
http://i15.ebayimg.com/05/i/000/ff/19/ecc9_1.JPG

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:00 AM   #3
mbird
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
California
Posts: 309


Ilovebeer,
I dry hop in the keg all the time. What I do is:
1. force carb the beer
2. refridgerate in my kegerator
3. place hops in a weighted hop bag or large s.s. tea ball attached to a length of dental floss
4. drop hops into keg and tie the end of dental floss to ext. lid
5. replace lid on keg and re-seal with co2 pressure
Hop aroma/flavor will increase with exposure but I will normally leave the hops in the keg for a week before tasting. Once I have achieved the level of aroma/flavor that I like I will remove the hop bag.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:01 AM   #4
Doc Robinson
 
Doc Robinson's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
Bonita Springs, Florida
Posts: 2,354
Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mbird View Post
Ilovebeer,
I dry hop in the keg all the time. What I do is:
1. force carb the beer
2. refridgerate in my kegerator
3. place hops in a weighted hop bag or large s.s. tea ball attached to a length of dental floss
4. drop hops into keg and tie the end of dental floss to ext. lid
5. replace lid on keg and re-seal with co2 pressure
Hop aroma/flavor will increase with exposure but I will normally leave the hops in the keg for a week before tasting. Once I have achieved the level of aroma/flavor that I like I will remove the hop bag.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com
I like this. I might give it a try.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #5
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
CA
Posts: 718
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


scut monkey...what a cool idea...to love mesh balls that is

mbird...thanks for the advice!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:53 AM   #6
Scut_Monkey
 
Scut_Monkey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,656
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
scut monkey...what a cool idea...to love mesh balls that is

mbird...thanks for the advice!
The Furry picture above makes this comment even better!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:57 AM   #7
ILOVEBEER
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
CA
Posts: 718
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


HAHA yep! Thanks again for the help and advice

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:01 AM   #8
Scut_Monkey
 
Scut_Monkey's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,656
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


No prob. MrBird has a pretty good system that I wouldn't mind trying myself. I would give it a shot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:17 PM   #9
lehr
 
lehr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2008
flushing michigan
Posts: 786
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts


I dry hop in the keg in a mesh bag and I leave them in until the keg is empty.

Pat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #10
calpyro
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
New Albion, State of Jefferson USA
Posts: 271
Liked 34 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEBEER View Post
Hi there,

I do AG, ferment in sankes and secondary is done in my corney kegs, from their they get force carbonated and to the kegerator they go for drinking.

I have never dry hopped but want to try an IPA coming up. Is it possible to dry hop with whole leaf hops in the corney? Will the hops clog the fluid pickup tube?


Thanks for your help.


My procedure is identical to yours. I ferment in Sankey kegs also, secondary in Corney kegs (setup for dry-hopping) and rack to another keg for the “bright tank”. I have been doing it this way for a few years and have perfected a method for extracting a very good dry-hop flavor.
Here it is:
*Ferment in the keg as you have been.
*Rack to the Corney Keg fitted with a Surescreen: http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/surescreen.html, which has your dry-hop addition and has been thoroughly purged with C02. In my experience, hops that are floating free in the Corney Keg have much better contact with the beer than if they are contained within a bag. I have used both methods and found that I can get more dry-hop flavor from hops with a Surescreen, than can be extracted from a bag.
*After a few weeks, I crash chill, rack to a clean keg, add gelatin to drop the tannins and suspended hop matter and carbonate.

Note: the Surescreen does not work well with pellet hops they clog the screen. I also coarsely chop my whole hops, in a food processor to break the cones up a bit and further improve the contact between the luplin glands in the hops and my beer. Works really good for me.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to avoid sediment in Corneys? Scooby_Brew Bottling/Kegging 23 10-22-2009 10:49 PM
Craigslist 3 gallon Corneys. WenValley Bottling/Kegging 5 09-22-2009 10:30 PM
need help! Corneys or sankes? HillbillyDeluxe Bottling/Kegging 14 01-15-2009 03:34 PM
average price of corneys? grlz Bottling/Kegging 12 12-18-2008 02:23 PM
How many corneys per tap do you have? howlinowl Bottling/Kegging 17 07-29-2007 06:51 PM


Forum Jump