Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 5 gal boil effect on fermentation

Old 12-13-2009, 07:59 PM   #1
mparmer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default 5 gal boil effect on fermentation

Did my first 2 batches yesterday via turkey fryer and full 5 gal boils. Now today, I have the most beautiful vigorous fermentations going yet. On the stout, I've had to rig up a blowoff hose and that thing is going crazy. Both are extract batches a blond ale that I pitched Coopers dry (15 gr) and the stout pitched with dry s-04. Just wondering, I've read that the 5 gal boil would help with hop utilization and elimination of the "extract wang taste" but had not heard it would have such an effect on the fermentation. I suppose these batches would have done just as well doing my old partial boils but I'm just curious if anyone else has ever noticed a difference like this. I did cool down using a immersion chiller (which is new to my processes, in the past I did an ice bath in the kitchen sink) and otherwise aerated by pouring back and forth between buckets like always. Anyways, thanks for your comments!!

Old 12-13-2009, 09:01 PM   #2
pilotdane
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

What is your fermentation temperature? A few degrees can have a big affect on how fast and furious yeast work.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
mparmer
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

68 degrees, same as my previous batches

Old 12-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #4
skyzo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thats close to perfect temperature. I usually start off at about 68, lower to 64 once fermentation is going happily, and finish off at around 68 again. I almost always have to use a blow off tube (5 gallon carboys suck)