Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > I Want to Start Smoking Pipe Tobacco

Old 12-13-2009, 04:16 PM   #11
RDWHAHB
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sounds fun. Unfortunately it would not get past the SWMBO for me. No effin chance.

Old 12-13-2009, 04:35 PM   #12
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I inherited a few pipes from a great uncle (more like I claimed them as nobody else wanted them) and have broken them out since the economy has destroyed my cigar smoking habit ($6 for 2oz of pipe tobacco vs ~$175 for a box of cigars). One thing is for sure, my wife likes the smell of the pipe a good deal more than the cigars.

BeeGee

Old 12-13-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I don't know if you will find one in your price range, but Peterson pipes are my favorite. Probably can find a used one with a new stem. Anyway they have a different system in some of them that creats a similar effect as a filter without needing a filter. It doesn't reduce the taste but lets some of the goo stay in the pipe and not coat your mouth.

I love pipe smoking it takes a while to find just the right amount of pressure to pack it and get a nice draw with out it getting too hot. Like others have said take time to break a new pipe in, and keep it clean. Part of the "fun" of pipes is the tinkering and cleaning. I often would creat my own blends depending on my current tastes. It is neat there are tobaccos that are for aroma and others for flavor. In the future if you find your self smoking one daily or more you will want more than one pipe. It is good to let them cool and dry before reuse. I have six myself, you will see one you like and just want to pick up a new one. Each one has a different draw and feel.

Old 12-13-2009, 05:49 PM   #14
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domminigan View Post
Pipe smoking is a requirement for reading the paper outside in the springtime. It's not a bad habit.

Having smoked everything from fine cigars ( cuban ) and fine 'baccy from all over for a pipe to cigs... I have to say there is nothing good about smoking.
I smoked for over 30 years and in the few short years that I have given up smoking have just started getting back my capacity to breathe normal.

As much as I have liked a fine cigar or pipe, I now find the smell of fresh air to be more satisifying.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boo boo View Post
Having smoked everything from fine cigars ( cuban ) and fine 'baccy from all over for a pipe to cigs... I have to say there is nothing good about smoking.
I smoked for over 30 years and in the few short years that I have given up smoking have just started getting back my capacity to breathe normal.

As much as I have liked a fine cigar or pipe, I now find the smell of fresh air to be more satisifying.
I agree habitually smoking will not be a good end result. My pipe smoking is sputterly. I like to have a few pipes in a day and then not pick it up for a month or so. My tobbacco flings are always here and there as I want some. As a nessessity I would think things would get cloged up and then are you really enjoying it or just getting a fix. IMHO everything in moderation, some things moderation is very different than other things.

Old 12-13-2009, 07:38 PM   #16
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDWHAHB View Post
Sounds fun. Unfortunately it would not get past the SWMBO for me. No effin chance.
Man up dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch171 View Post
I agree habitually smoking will not be a good end result. My pipe smoking is sputterly. I like to have a few pipes in a day and then not pick it up for a month or so. My tobbacco flings are always here and there as I want some. As a nessessity I would think things would get cloged up and then are you really enjoying it or just getting a fix. IMHO everything in moderation, some things moderation is very different than other things.
I am the same way and completely agree. I am looking for something fun to do every week or so, and on brew days sitting in the garage, having a beer, watching TV, and waiting for the boil.

I went to a really nice shop today. For now, I grabbed the cheapest corn cob pipe they had and their most popular blend. Just partook. It was nice.

Old 12-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #17
Ksosh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRobinson View Post
Man up dude.
YEAH! What he said! Be a man's man, son! Smack her around a little if you have to, to get your point across! Pipes were made to be smokes, beers to be drank, and women to be slapped! It's not like marriage is a two-way street meant for compromises and respecting other's wishes, it's a man's world baby!

...btw, let me know how that whole 'divorce' thing goes.

/sarcasm
Secondary: Second running session ale #2

Old 12-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #18
mitch171
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Nothing wrong with a good 'ol corn cob. That is a great way to start make sure you like it. May adventually burn through, but by that point you will know if it is something you wouldn't mind spending money on and get something real nice. OTOH I have friends that use the corn cob until it wears out and then just buy another.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:43 PM   #19
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksosh View Post
It's not like marriage is a two-way street meant for compromises and respecting other's wishes...
post to follow:

Exactly my point. Man up and your wishes will be respected...either that or you're just a doormat in denial, assuring yourself that you can live with that because you are a "good husband"...you respect your wife's wishes. If she doesn't respect yours, then she married a doormat, knowing your were a doormat, and if you are happy with that, I have no problem with that either. My relationship with my wife is phenomenal...I'm an great husband and I have an even greater wife. I would do anything for her except compromise my own happiness, which includes doing what I want to do (within reason) in my free time. I harbor the same respect for her needs. Couples are couples, but each couple is ultimately just two individuals.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:10 PM   #20
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 230 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRobinson View Post
post to follow:

Exactly my point. Man up and your wishes will be respected...either that or you're just a doormat in denial, assuring yourself that you can live with that because you are a "good husband"...you respect your wife's wishes. If she doesn't respect yours, then she married a doormat, knowing your were a doormat, and if you are happy with that, I have no problem with that either. My relationship with my wife is phenomenal...I'm an great husband and I have an even greater wife. I would do anything for her except compromise my own happiness, which includes doing what I want to do (within reason) in my free time. I harbor the same respect for her needs. Couples are couples, but each couple is ultimately just two individuals.

nothing more to add here, this just about sums it up guys!