Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Just built my mash tun (pics)

Old 12-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
DavidSteel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Just built my mash tun (pics)

I know you've seen this plenty of times, but some new pictures are always fun to look at. I followed this guide (because it was the easiest and cheapest): http://www.donosborn.com/homebrew/mashtun.htm

It was hell trying to get that 3/8" siphon in that hole. It's a 48 quart Rubbermaid cooler.

What it looks like on the other side. It was folded at first but after forcing the tube to make love with the cooler's drain hole for a while, it formed into shape.

Attached the SS braid to the tube w/ the end bent over on itself 3 times to form a seal. Attached 2 clamps on each end.

Closeup of the end sealed by folding over on itself w/ clamp for good measure.

Cut the tube and attached a 3/8" plastic valve to both ends of the siphon tubing (also 3/8") with two clamps on each end.

Finished product.

Tested it and it runs fine. Has an extra quart or so of water that doesn't get sucked up on the bottom. Hopefully the grain will take the place of that to-be wort and it won't be a big issue.

Total cost:
9 dollars for the SS braid,
2-3 dollars for the siphon,
1.50ish for the 3/8" valve,
1 dollar for the clamps.
I got the cooler for free, but I imagine it would cost about 25-35 dollars.

Cheapest mash tun ever. Anyone got any experience/tips with this build?

Old 12-12-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Looks like it'll work! Pretty close to mine, but I just used some PVC for a manifold (I know, spent the big bucks!). Sometimes you just have to love simplicity...

Old 12-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 821 Times on 655 Posts
Likes Given: 15

It will work well, I have done this for a while now with success. I don't even bother with a valve, just simply clip the tubing outlet end to the top of the tun and lower it to run off the wort. With the dead space you have I would do a double sparge, no mash out. Basicly run off the initial strike water after rest, and then conduct two sparges of equal volume.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 PM   #4
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer View Post
It will work well, I have done this for a while now with success. I don't even bother with a valve, just simply clip the tubing outlet end to the top of the tun and lower it to run off the wort. With the dead space you have I would do a double sparge, no mash out. Basicly run off the initial strike water after rest, and then conduct two sparges of equal volume.
So, do the initial sparge, wait for it to rest, drain it and then figure out/calculate how much wort I'll need to make X gallons, divide it by two and do two sparges with, say 10 minutes rest each? Or am I getting lost lol

Old 12-12-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3002 Times on 2909 Posts
Likes Given: 148

Every MLY has a dead space. You just have to know yours and sparge that much more to achieve you boil volume. Nice and simple. Good job.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 02-18-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks I like the KISS approach...........I think I need to do some more reading on this AG stuff....

In the mean time I'll brew up a frew more extract kits so my pipeline is good to go....I mean looks like I'm going to drink around 6 extra beers each brew day with AG method

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi