Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns, & Hot Liquor Tanks > Polyester (PET) braid in a mash tun

Old 12-11-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
FlyGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 151 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Polyester (PET) braid in a mash tun

I came across an interesting product (http://www.mcmaster.com/#2837k14/=4w17ts) an PET expandable mesh that is heat resistant. It is inexpensive, easy to cut and work with, is expandable, and has a very nice braid pattern that won't easily damage. It is not food-grade, however, since its intended application is wire sleeving. However, PET is basically stable and inert, and the product literature says it is manufactured without the use of chemical additives.

I am considering using this to cover a slotted pipe in my mash tun to replace my old braid. It would basically provide the best of a manifold and a SS braid (e.g., rigidity and superior grainbed filtering).

Does anyone have any opinion about using this in a mash tun, or possibly even a boil kettle?

Old 12-11-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I cannot get that link to open anything but a blank page on their site.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 12-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
evanmars
EAC Wannabe
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Try:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2837k14/=4w3cnn

Primary - Duck Lake EPA
Duck Pee (Cream of Three Crops variant)

Secondary - 0
Kegged - 0 No kegs anymore :(
Bottled - 0

Old 12-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #4
Sockmonkey
Recipes 

I think it would be safe; Better Bottles are made of PET, see the "Purity / Safety" link on this page:
http://www.better-bottle.com/technic...ity_right.html

My only concern would be to validate the acceptable temperature range. Better Bottles are only safe up to 140F.

Old 12-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2981 Times on 2890 Posts
Likes Given: 146

There have been lots of posts about putting bradi over a pipe is not a good idea. If you're using a braid, use JUST the braid or use a spring coil if you're worried about it collapsing.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 12-12-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1259 Times on 829 Posts
Likes Given: 34

It looks a lot like the faux stainless stuff people sometimes mistakenly and disastrously install in their mash tuns and curse during the first stuck runoff.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:10 AM   #7
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
There have been lots of posts about putting bradi over a pipe is not a good idea. If you're using a braid, use JUST the braid or use a spring coil if you're worried about it collapsing.
Hmmm... I hadn't seen all those posts. I would be curious to know what the issues could be. A quick search doesn't reveal much.

And this is plastic braid -- it absolutely WILL collapse without reinforcement. A spring won't work because it won't be rigid. I am quite familiar with SS braids, which are fine, but they do wear out and I am exploring other options.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:53 AM   #8
FlyGuy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
It looks a lot like the faux stainless stuff people sometimes mistakenly and disastrously install in their mash tuns and curse during the first stuck runoff.
If you have it in your hand, it is not the same. And of course, it is used in a different way.

Just to reiterate -- I want to use it over rigid tubing for filtration.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:03 AM   #9
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 787 Times on 631 Posts
Likes Given: 15

By all means Fly, give it a try. Just MO, I fail to see how a polyester braid could be an improvement over SS. If you have had trouble w/ a SS braid, perhaps try a larger / heavier one. I'm currently using one from a washing machine supply hose. It is a fair bit sturdier than the sink supply I first used. The water heater supply braids are yet even bigger, and seem very sturdy. I have never seen a need to put anything inside a braid, just my experience.

Old 12-12-2009, 04:21 AM   #10
FlyGuy

Recipes 

OK, let me explain a bit here. I am a big advocate of SS braids for batch sparging, and I am not knocking them. But I have decided one won't suit my purpose for my new build.

I want to implement a steam-heating and mash recirculation system (to avoid stirring), and I need a round manifold for my 10 gal Rubbermaid MLT to create more even lautering. My steam manifold is also round, so I want the collection zone to be close the manifold to distribute the heat evenly.

The slotted copper manifold works great, so I will do that, but I also don't want to give up the filtering capabilities of the braid.

I can certainly use a stainless braid, but this stuff is SO easy to work with (just cut to length with scissors and slip over -- it adjusts to whatever size I need), the mesh appears to be better quality (more even than a SS braid), it is very inexpensive, and it looks easier to attach than the SS braid.

Basically, I am leaning towards using it because it seems like an all-around better solution. But perhaps there are some disadvantages that I am not considering, hence my post to you guys to see if anyone can think of them.