At the end of August I made mead for the first time. I have never even had mead before. But for some reason it seemed like a good idea, i'll find out if I was right or not when I finally try them. I do have some brewing experience with beer and hard cider.
I wanted to try and get a wide variety of meads to try. So I made 6 half gallon batches. Using two different types of honey (a local wild flower one, and some orange blossom I bought online.) For some batches I used all of one kind of honey and for others I used mixtures. I also used 3 different kinds of yeast: Lalvin EC-1118 wine yeast, some kind of old Muntos beer yeast i had, and Red Star bread yeast. Also to two of them I also added some orange juice and zest. I documented all the mixtures of course.
So last week I racked them off the yeast into secondary fermenters. (The plan that I came up with from reading various sources was to leave them about 3 month in the primary and 3 in the secondary, then let age in wine bottles for about 6 months). Anyway when I racked them I took their gravities, and was very surprised to find that they were all about the same (between .995 and .997). (the OG were between 1.077 and 1.105). I would have thought that the wine yeast would have produced a much dryer mead with a lower final gravity than the bread yeast.
I was just curious if anyone knew why they all came out about the same and knew if I do make more mead again in the future if I should manually stop fermentation to end with a higher FG or if there are other yeast I should try for that purpose.