Equipment / Kit suggestions for a beginner - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Equipment / Kit suggestions for a beginner

Old 12-10-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Dec 2009
Western Springs IL

I am currently reading Charlie Papazian's "The Complete Joy of Home Brewing" and I am excited about getting started brewing my own beer. This is my first post on the boards so I have a lot of reading to do!

*Do you guys have suggestions for me on a specific company that makes a very good home brew starter kit? - or a kit that maybe you had a good start with. I am sure not all brew kits are created equal.

Chas Martin

Old 12-11-2009, 02:05 AM   #2
Nov 2009
Sugar Grove, Illinois
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I started with (and am still using cause I'm a noob) a Brewers Best basic kit, its ok, has what you need, but I have been spending about $20 a week on new parts and things i could use for homebrew. At this point, if you think its something your going to love, at least get a kit with some sort of carboy cause if nothing else, you get to watch your beer ferment...

Take a look around and see where your LHBS is. They most likely have a kit that would suit your needs as a beginning brewer and if not, they can probably help put one together for you. I know its a bit of a trip but my friend raves about the Homebrew Shop in St Charles.
Primary #1+Auxiliary: Burning River Pale Ale clone
Primary #2: empty
Primary #3: EdWorts Apfelwein #4
Conditioning/Drinking:Brewers Best Belgian Tripel, Apfelwein #3, EdWorts Apfelwein #2, Cranapple Wine, Routers Share Network Closet Strong Scotch Ale, McCormack's Old Malt Oatmeal Stout